Author Topic: Dhansak  (Read 18818 times)

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Dhansak
« on: April 17, 2005, 10:59 AM »
OK, I asked for advice on Dhansak a few weeks ago and since then I have been perfecting it!

What I now have is a stunning replica of my locals Dhansak (even if I do say so myself? ;D), and on the subject of that taste each time I have made this I cook it early (at least 3 hours before I eat) and bung it in a casserole dish. Half an hour before I want to eat it I put it in the oven for half an hour on gas mark 4/5. I believe as a result of doing this it doesn't feel like I have just cooked it and the taste is amazing.

As I have said before make sure everything is measured and ready to go next to the cooker otherwise you will definitely burn something while you are rooting around for that bottle of lemon juice? :D

Dhansak recipe for 2 portions

3/4 oz red split lentils (I'm currently torn between 1.5 or 2oz lentils per person, at the mo I think 1.5)
3 TBSP veg oil
3 TBSP veg ghee
3 TBSP pasata
4 cloves garlic crushed with 1 TSP ginger puree (I personally think fresh crushed garlic is key in the taste, a lot of you use garlic ginger puree so feel free to use that. Also the 2 kitchens I have been in only use garlic, not ginger)
2 rounded TSP restaurant masala
0.5 TSP chilli powder (I use rajah extra hot which is like powdered magma, if your using anything less hot then adjust upwards)
0.5 TSP salt
0.5 TSP fenugreek leaves
4 TBSP pre cooked onions
pre cooked main ingredient for 2 (I use chicken)
2 wedges of fresh lemon (or 2 TBSP lemon juice)
fresh coriander

First off soak the lentils for 4 hours, then wash them off, add water, 1TSP turmeric, 0.5 TSP salt and bring to the boil simmer until done, 30mins-1hour. Drain and puree, set aside for later.

Put the oil and ghee in a pan on your biggest gas ring, set to maximum and wait for the oil to heat up.

Add garlic and ginger puree, cook vigorously until garlic shows the vaguest sign of going brown

Add onions and cook for ~30s

Add pasata and cook for ~20s

Add spices, chilli and salt and cook for ~20s

Add lemon wedges (if using lemon juice dont add that here, add it in with the lentils), pre cooked main ingredient and cook for ~30s

Add half a ladle of curry base and evaporate off

Add lentil puree and fenugreek, stir in, then add 1 ladle of curry gravy

Add a handful of fresh chopped coriander

Turn heat down and simmer for a minute or 2

« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 11:02 AM by Mark J »

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Dhansak
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 11:02 AM »
Nice, I'l give this ago when I get some more lentils.  This is one that I can never quite find the right taste, always nice but not quite right.

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 12:57 PM »
Hi , Mark J
Very glad for you .
You explained it very clearly.
I like your idea of leaving the curry for 3 hours  before eating it.
I will try it
Thanks
ghanna

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 04:59 PM »
Hi ,MARK J
When you add turmeric to any kind of lentils or dals, they cook quicker.
This is the advice of one of the chefs.
There are two methods of pre-cooking onions  :
1- Frying them with some turmeric until they are only wilted
2- Boiling them with some turmeric  for a short time.
Please tell me which method did you used ?
Thank you in advance .
ghanna

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 08:20 PM »
Hi Ghanna,

When I precook onions I fry them on a low heat with a TSP of garlic and a TSP of restaurant masala

cheers

Offline merrybaker

• Head Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 09:53 PM »
3/4 oz red split lentils (I'm currently torn between 1.5 or 2oz lentils per person, at the mo I think 1.5)
Hi, Mark.? I've never eaten a dhansak, but this sounds easy and good (and won't use up my precious curry base sauce!).? I have a question about the amount of lentils.? That's 3/4 oz. uncooked lentils, right?? What's the 1.5 oz. lentils per person -- is that the amount of cooked and pureed lentils?? Thanks for sharing this recipe.

-Mary?

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 11:10 AM »
(and won't use up my precious curry base sauce!).?

It will, I think Marks just forgotten to add it to the ingredients list its included in the method though.

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 12:52 PM »
Oops, just to clarify that should be 3 or 4oz for 2 people, uncooked weight

Offline merrybaker

• Head Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 06:12 PM »
and won't use up my precious curry base sauce!?
that should be 3 or 4oz for 2 people, uncooked weight

Thanks.? I can't believe I didn't figure that out.? Must be ghee clogging the blood vessels going to my brain. :(

Offline merrybaker

• Head Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 09:15 PM »
Mark, I tried your dhansak recipe last night, and it was delicious!? I?d say it was the best dhansak I?ve ever eaten, but I've already admitted not having it before. :)

Details:? Made a double recipe and used 6 oz. of lentils (good proportion of lentils).? Only 3 Tbl. each oil & ghee -- the thought of 6 Tbl. each was too scary.? Didn?t have passata so used a dab of tomato paste and some water to thin it.?? Lemon juice rather than wedges -- seemed more accurate.? Less curry gravy at the end because I ran out.? (Notice the planning that went into this meal!)? All in all, a very nice curry.? And I repeat your warning about having everything ready to go before cooking.? The beginning is rather frenzied and there?s no time to do anything but add and stir.

-Mary

©2024 Curry Recipes