Author Topic: Chicken Madras in detail  (Read 20392 times)

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Chicken Madras in detail
« on: February 14, 2016, 09:00 AM »
Here is a detailed post of my chicken madras recipe. It's very simple and uses very few ingredients but as long as it is cooked properly tastes like a good BIR madras IMO. Hope someone finds this useful.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Madras in detail
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 09:11 AM »
I like the non-video style of presentation, Rattus sobrietus, and I can see you have gone to great trouble to present the text overlays in a contrasting colour, but I cannot help but feel that it would be better still were you to present image and caption in separate (horizontally-aligned) frames.  Admittedly the post would be twice as long physically, but I nonetheless think that it would make the recipe even easier to follow.

** Phil.

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 09:15 AM »
Thanks Phil, I will keep that in mind when I next post a recipe.

Rob

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 09:31 AM »
Typically simple madras recipe, good clear intructions with pictorial example at every stage.  Ideal for the beginner and expert alike.  Nice work SR.  Resultant curry would go down well here for breakfast  :P

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 09:36 AM »
Thanks CH. I agree about having it for breakfast but unfortunately it all disappeared last night. But never mind, there is always more base gravy in the freezer just begging to be used.

Rob

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 05:51 PM »
Trying this one now, SR.  Only changes from your recipe are :

1) Double the oil (I like oily curries)
2) "Mix powder" -> "Rajah mixed masala" (I neither have nor use "mix powder" in the sense that that phrase is generally understood here).
3) My base is 175ml "Shaheen" onion masala base, diluted 1:1 with water and liquidised for two minutes, used hot.
Oh, and (4) (I nearly forgot) -- fresh free-range chicken breasts (two); I had no pre-cooked chicken and could not see what benefit(s) it might bring.

Initial impressions (based on sampling chicken and sauce at various stages) is that it is going to be a darn sight better than last night's "Balti from Rishton", q.v.  Possibly a little too tomatoey for my taste, perhaps because the Shaheen base has more tomato content than the one you used.  I would also like some fenugreek (ground) or Kasoori methi in it, I think.

P.S.  Initial impressions were correct.  An excellent curry, SR, confirmed by the fact that when I went back into the kitchen a couple of minutes ago in order to put cling film over the remaining curry, pickles, onion salad, etc., I dipped the remaining 1/4 chapati in the sauce and it was excellent.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:45 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 11:39 PM »
Phil,

is the Shaheen base as good as other base recipes posted on this forum?

London.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 06:09 AM »
is the Shaheen base as good as other base recipes posted on this forum?
I have not used any base other than KD1, London (never seen the need); the Shaheen base, once diluted and liquidised, seems fine to me, and has the great advantage that it can be stored at room temperature.

** Phil.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 04:32 PM »
And just as good the next day.  I have also removed the remains of the lamb from the Rishton Balti sauce and put it in the remains of this sauce; a very significant improvement.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 04:56 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 06:13 PM »
Just about to cook this again; this is the recipe I shall follow (printing the images overlaid with text does not yield an easily readable recipe)

« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 07:41 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

©2024 Curry Recipes