Author Topic: Zeera Restaurant Madras  (Read 68118 times)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Zeera Restaurant Madras
« on: January 20, 2011, 12:31 AM »
Hi All
The Classic Madras, recipe and technique, still made the way it should be, at one of my local restaurants. Hope its of interest to all you curry fans ;D
http://Bir-recipes.Org.Uk/CR0/ChewyTikka/Zeera-Restaurant-Madras.pdf

Chewy

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Zeera Restaurant Madras
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 02:04 AM »
Hi Chewy and thanks for sharing your info.  8)

Stew/Admin,

Please can we sort out the forum so that pdf files (and other attachments) can be posted either directly on this forum (as used to be the case via the "attach" function) or via the cr0 web hosting site (which only appears to accept graphics files currently).

I feel that posting links to (yet more) third party servers is highly undesirable (regarding copyright protection, management of this forums content, etc).

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 02:37 AM »
Hi Chewy,

Hopefully Stew/Admin will sort out the "attach" function so that you can attach your pdf file here (or sort out the cr0 host so that it also accepts pdf files).

Meanwhile, I've lifted the text from your document and posted it here (I hope you don't mind):

Zeera Restaurant Madras

To make a madras you will need 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil, 1teaspoon of blended garlic and ginger paste, 1 tablespoon of tomato pure? mixed with water ,1 teaspoon of mixed powder and 1 heaped tablespoon of kashmiri chilli powder, a pinch of fresh chopped coriander, a splash of lemon juice, a dash of worcestershire sauce and a pinch of salt. Now add the pre-cooked chicken or meat and mix it well. add base gravy and cook through on medium/high heat.

Tip - High heat. is the secret of a good madras, the heat brings out the distinct flavour of the Kashmiri chilli powder

Ingredients:

The Classic Madras ingredients
4 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
1 teaspoon of blended garlic and ginger paste.
4 tablespoons of tomato pure? mixed with water.
1 teaspoon of mixed powder.
1 heaped tablespoon of kashmiri chilli powder.
A pinch of fresh chopped coriander.
A splash of lemon juice.
A dash of worcestershire sauce.
A pinch of salt.
A portion of base curry sauce.
A portion of pre-cooked chicken or meat.

Method:

Four tablespoons of vegetable oil
One teaspoon of blended garlic and ginger paste,
One Chefs spoon of Tomato Pure?, mixed with water
One teaspoon of mixed powder
One heaped tablespoon of kashmiri Chilli
A sprinkle of coriander leaf, pinch of salt, a splash of lemon juice and a dash of worcestershire sauce
Time elapsed 30secs on high heat
One Chefs spoon of curry base, stir well and turn heat low
Time elapsed 1 minute
Add pre cooked meat
Add One Portion of curry base, stir well and turn heat high
Stir well and turn heat to medium
Time elapsed 2 minutes
Continue to stir well and heat the meat through, on a medium heat
Time elapsed 4 minutes
Total Time elapsed 4 minutes 30 secs

Cooking Technique

Controlling high heat. is the secret of a good Madras, the heat brings out the distinct flavour of the Kashmiri chilli powder.
To achieve this with a domestic hob, cover with a lid and turn it up to the highest flame for the last 30 seconds of cooking..
The oil will completely separate and you will have an authentic tasting BIR Madras.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 10:06 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 09:30 AM »
Hi

Thank you for posting this recipe. This will be next on my list to try.

Interestingly, quite a large amount of tomato puree used (many here claim adamantly that there should be no tomato puree in a Madras) and the inclusion of Worcestershire sauce?

Thanks

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 10:00 AM »
Interestingly, quite a large amount of tomato puree used (many here claim adamantly that there should be no tomato puree in a Madras) and the inclusion of Worcestershire sauce?
Yes, I was surprised at the Worcestershire sauce, but then I remembered that the latter was reputedly based on a recipe brought back from India by one Captain Edwards, so perhaps its credentials are beyond dispute !

** Phil.

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 11:19 AM »
I personally could not imagine a madras without tomate puree/paste,
and I have heard about Worcestershire sauce used in a madras but I've never seen it used in the kitchens I've been into, no doubt when I have added it to a madras it certainly does add a depth of flavour but not necessarily what I'm looking for.
Regards,
Mick

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 12:15 PM »
Hi CA
Thanks  for that! but you missed the technique page:-

Cooking Technique
Controlling high heat. is the secret of a good Madras, the heat brings out the distinct flavour of the Kashmiri chilli powder.
To achieve this with a domestic hob, cover with a lid and turn it up to the highest flame for the last 30 seconds of cooking..
The oil will completely separate and you will have an authentic tasting BIR Madras.

Hi Solarsplace
Worcestershire sauce is "old school" and has been omitted over the generations and replaced with too much bottled lemon juice.
The Tang in Madras = Tomato concentrate, lemon, tamarind.

Back in the day, when I was taught this, Worcestershire sauce was just the Tamarind
substitute and was readily available, the lemon was a wedge of fresh lemon, off the salad counter.
If you try it, I recommend only a dash i.e. three or four drops, because it can be overpowering.

chewy

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 12:32 PM »
Hi CA
Thanks  for that! but you missed the technique page:-

Cooking Technique

Hi Solarsplace
Worcestershire sauce is "old school" and has been omitted over the generations and replaced with too much bottled lemon juice.
The Tang in Madras = Tomato concentrate, lemon, tamarind.

Back in the day, when I was taught this, Worcestershire sauce was just the Tamarind
substitute and was readily available, the lemon was a wedge of fresh lemon, off the salad counter.
If you try it, I recommend only a dash i.e. three or four drops, because it can be overpowering.

chewy

Hi

Really appreciate your post. This is great info :)

Many thanks

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 04:05 PM »
Very Interesting indeed

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 04:34 PM »
chewytikka,

love the pdf.

hope you don't mind but i'm really determined to crack vindaloo.

the question being - is vindaloo a madras plus chilli or is it a completely different dish. i guess it may be both to different chefs. any thoughts appreciated. 

©2024 Curry Recipes