Author Topic: CA's Curry Base (aka "gravy"/"sauce")  (Read 250967 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
CA's Curry Base (aka "gravy"/"sauce")
« on: September 24, 2009, 05:26 AM »
Here is my curry base that I currently use.  It is the result of many years of me attempting to replicate BIR curries.  I have tried countless other recipes, countless alternative ingredients, countless alternative methods, etc, but, until someone comes up with a major breakthrough (and I feel sure there must be one!), it is the best I can currently accomplish.

It makes about 2.3 litres of curry base, which is sufficient for about 9 single portion curries.

Ingredients:

• 600g brown onions
  • 25g fresh garlic
  • 15g fresh ginger
  • 40g tomato paste
  • 175g fresh tomato
  • 40g carrot
  • 40g green capsicum (or red if you prefer)
  • 20g coriander stalks/roots
  • 1 heaped tsp curry powder (any decent mild or medium one will do)
  • 3 heaped tsp spice mix http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3765.msg34202#msg34202
  • 1 heaped tsp salt
  • 125ml vegetable oil (or sunflower or canola oil if you prefer)
  • 1600ml water

Method:

• Wash and coarsely chop all vegetables, tomatoes and coriander stalks/roots
  • Place all ingredients (except the coriander, spice mix and curry powder) in a large saucepan
  • Cover the pan and bring to a gentle simmer
  • Gently simmer for about 60 minutes (or until all the vegetables are soft)
  • Add curry powder and spice mix
  • Simmer for a further 5 minutes
  • Add coriander stalks and allow to cool
  • Blend to a soup-like consistency when sufficiently cool
  • Use immediately, store in a fridge (for 3 days max) or freeze in suitable airtight containers

Notes:

• You can use other onions, if you prefer (e.g. red, white, etc), but I haven't found it makes much difference
  • You can try frying/caramelising the onions, etc, in oil, before adding the water, but I haven't found it makes much difference
  • You can use coriander leaves, if your prefer, but your base may become a little green coloured
  • You can use an alternative spice mix (or any decent curry powder, or individual spices), if you prefer, but the result will undoubtedly be different
  • The resultant base should be a pale, creamy, yellow colour and should smell and taste of a pleasant, creamy, mildly spiced onion/vegetable soup, and should not be bitter

Please let me know how you find it if you try it.

Here is a photo of my finished Curry Base:

Here is a photo of my Chicken Madras made using my curry base:

My Madras recipe can be found here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3830.0

Here is a photo of my Chicken Tikka Masala Phal made using my curry base:

My Chicken Tikka Masala Phal recipe can be found here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4000.msg36196#msg36196

Here is a photo of my Chicken Dhansak made using my curry base:

My Dhansak recipe can be found here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3869.msg35049#msg35049

Here is a photo of my Chicken Jalfrezi made using my curry base:

My Jalfrezi recipe can be found here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3877.0

Here is a photo of my Chicken Tikka Masala made using my curry base:

My Chicken Tikka Masala recipe can be found here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3999.msg36188#msg36188

Here is a photo of my Chicken Ceylon made using my curry base:

My Ceylon recipe can be found here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3868.0

Here is a photo of my Chicken Korma made using my curry base:

My Korma recipe can be found here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3975.msg35972#msg35972

Here is a photo of my Chicken Vindaloo made using my curry base:

My Vindaloo recipe can be found here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3953.msg35787#msg35787
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 02:26 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Curry Base (aka "gravy"/"sauce")
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 02:23 PM »
CA - I will be in the market for a new batch of base very shortly (down to two bags), so will definitely give this a try.

Will let you know how I get on...

-- Josh

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 07:19 PM »
CA,

i been of the opinion for a while now that if a base achieves a threshold (i guess a set of characteristics) then it's impact on the final curry is limited (the technique and recipe then have a greater impact). consequently i keep hoping that i won't be tempted to try any more bases so i can concentrate on the recipe end.

i do like the spec of your base. now that my regular made recipes and technique are sorted (stable) it would be good to get what i hope to be a final verdict on the threshold.

i feel i'm pretty versed on all the ingredients except the spice mix. the spec is quite different to the end result of my take on the CRO2 base. the key differences being that i've dropped off the list tomato (fresh & paste) , green pepper and fresh ginger. i'd also pretty much established a personal preference not to use curry powder or garam in base preferring simple spicing and whole spices.

the cooking time is also much shorter than my norm 3 hr.

very much looking fwd to giving it a go.

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 10:08 AM »
Not hugely different to mine CA.

I too, have tried many variations that did not seem to make a huge difference:-

Pre frying ('tarka-ing') the tomato/tomarto paste (a la KD)
     -------ditto--------------  the onion & garlic (home made puree)
     -------ditto--------------  the spices
     -------ditto-------------- all possible combinations of the above three

I've finally settled on a simple boil/simmer approach; spices, tom paste & corry stalks 5 mins mins before end, just like you & BE.

I use home made chicken stock in place of water; and personally I've found this makes a BIG difference:  remains of a roast chicken boiled up with a little bay, star anise, cinamon & peppercorns; filtered and skimmed after a couple of hours cooking.

I also add a stick of celery.  Like you, I don't go overboard on the carrot - I find it makes it a little 'heavy'.

I discovered a while back that my bitter results were simply due to too much ginger, and had nothing whatever to do with the onions.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 02:23 PM »
will definitely give this a try....Will let you know how I get on...

Thanks Josh (and Jerry), I'd be interested to know how you get on.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 02:34 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 02:34 PM »
Interesting to note we've followed similar paths ADVB

I've noted you comments about using home made stock and will give it another try (I've never had much joy, in the past, but I can see how it can undoubtedly add depth, savouriness and flavour).  I'll try your recipe for the stock.

I'm also interested to note your observations regarding too much ginger.  The occasional bitter base has always troubled me which I've generally assigned to the onions.  I find that (too many) fresh chillies and tinned tomatoes can also make the base bitter.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 02:47 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 02:42 PM »
the cooking time is also much shorter than my norm 3 hr.

Yes, I understand what you're saying Jerry.  However, I figure that, since the quantities of ingredients are significantly smaller than a "full-sized" BIR batch of base that 1 hour is sufficient. 

I've tried longer (up to 3 hours for this size batch) and whilst it doesn't really do any harm, I do feel that some of the flavour is lost beyond 1 hour or so.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 02:51 PM »
Here is my curry base that I currently use.  It is the result of many years of me attempting to replicate BIR curries.  I have tried countless other recipes, countless alternative ingredients, countless alternative methods, etc, but, until someone comes up with a major breakthrough (and I feel sure there must be one!), it is the best I can currently accomplish.

It makes about 2 litres of curry base, which is sufficient for about 8 single portion curries.

Ingredients:

• 600g brown onions
  • 25g fresh garlic
  • 15g fresh ginger
  • 40g tomato paste
  • 175g fresh tomato
  • 40g carrot
  • 40g green capsicum (or red if you prefer)
  • 20g coriander stalks/roots
  • 1 heaped tsp curry powder (any decent mild or medium one will do)
  • 3 heaped tsp spice mix http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3765.msg34202#msg34202
  • 1 heaped tsp salt
  • 125ml vegetable oil (or sunflower or canola oil if you prefer)
  • 1600ml water

Method:

• Wash and coarsely chop all vegetables, tomatoes and coriander stalks/roots
  • Place all ingredients (except the coriander, spice mix and curry powder) in a large saucepan
  • Cover the pan and bring to a gentle simmer
  • Gently simmer for about 60 minutes (or until all the vegetables are soft)
  • Add curry powder and spice mix
  • Simmer for a further 5 minutes
  • Add coriander stalks and allow to cool
  • Blend to a soup-like consistency when sufficiently cool
  • Use immediately, store in a fridge (for 3 days max) or freeze in suitable airtight containers

Notes:

• You can use other onions, if you prefer (e.g. red, white, etc), but I haven't found it makes much difference
  • You can try frying/caramelising the onions, etc, in oil, before adding the water, but I haven't found it makes much difference
  • You can use coriander leaves, if your prefer, but your base may become a little green coloured
  • You can use an alternative spice mix (or any decent curry powder, or individual spices), if you prefer, but the result will undoubtedly be different
  • The resultant base should be a pale, creamy, yellow colour and should smell and taste of a pleasant, creamy, mildly spiced onion/vegetable soup, and should not be bitter

Please let me know how you find it if you try it.

Hi Cory,

This looks a very good base indeed. Last batch I made was SnS and I only have 1 portion left.

I'm gonna give this a go early next week.

Well done mate :)

Offline Paul1980

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 02:53 PM »
I have omitted Ginger completely out all my recipes as it always gives me a bitter taste.
I have read in a book or two that this was only added in curries to help with digestion.
Since I have done this My bases and final curries have improved a lot.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 02:54 PM »
I haven't done a side by side comparison CA (I'm just feeling too lazy at the mo), but this looks remarkably like Bruce Edwards' new base. If so, no bad thing as that one is my current favourite!

©2024 Curry Recipes