Author Topic: CA's Chicken Madras  (Read 85955 times)

Offline Sojourn

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Madras
« Reply #120 on: February 09, 2012, 05:39 PM »
Thanks CH, oh there will be many more  ;D

Offline gemnseph

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 03, 2012, 11:23 AM »
Hello,

New on here, so plz b kind!!!
I am going to attempt this recipe tonight, although it will be for 4 people, can you tell me, do I just increase chicken amount or do I need to increase anything else?? Also, I have no spiced oil (and no time to make any for this attempt) is there any alternative I could use??

Thanks!!!! :)

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 03, 2012, 11:28 AM »
Using regular oil will be fine, although the results do improve if the spiced oil is used.

If you want to make a double batch then you need to double everything, as you won't have enough sauce. Personally, if I was making this for 4 people, I would make two double batches.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 03, 2012, 11:29 AM »
Hello,

New on here, so plz b kind!!!
I am going to attempt this recipe tonight, although it will be for 4 people, can you tell me, do I just increase chicken amount or do I need to increase anything else?? Also, I have no spiced oil (and no time to make any for this attempt) is there any alternative I could use??

Thanks!!!! :)

Hi gemnseph.  Welcome to the forum.  The most reliable way would be to cook four separte portions and combine them all.  As for spiced oil, Aldi stores sometimes stock Chalice curry oil which is also available in some Asda stores.  Don't worry about the spiced oil too much though.  Not adding it will make a slight difference but i'm sure you'll be pleased with the overall result with it omitted.  Hope this helps.

Offline diesel

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2012, 08:13 AM »
I have been using CA's

Chicken Phal, Vindaloo, Madras and Curry (Illustrated!) with darhs base think that was his name for a long time now (years) and good results every time

But last night and can I just say CA you got the spot on its fab best I've ever made

Thank you CA ..

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 12, 2012, 04:13 PM »
Cooked this tonight........EXCELLENT!!

Offline madmatt

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2012, 12:18 PM »
Cooked this last night(albeit without the spiced oil) and as usual it was fantastic.

I added some Mr Naga chilli paste also and it gave it a lovely Naga flavour.

Highly Recommend to make it a tad different.

Matt

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 18, 2012, 10:36 AM »
I tried this yesterday but instead of chicken I used onion , garlic , aubergine , courgette , capsicum and tomato and it was really good .. we had it together with a biryani 

Once again hat off to CA !!      :)

Offline s3782

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 05, 2012, 06:03 PM »
Just had this tonight , it was fantastic , so tastey , much nicer than my local indian's chicken madras , I really look forward to trying your other recipes CA . thankyou very much  :)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 20, 2012, 08:49 PM »
So this evening I made CA's Chicken Madras, using his base, curry masala and tandoori masala.  I had 375 gm chicken, and wasn't going to put 75 gm back in the 'fridge just to be spot on with the recipe, so I used rounded teaspoons rather than flat and increased the sauce to 375 ml.  I increased the salt to about 3/4 teaspoon and reduced the sugar to one teaspoon.  No other changes.  Verdict : OK, but nothing special.  Not significantly better than any other Madras I have made, but no worse than many. Overall I would describe it as "under-spiced", which makes sense if you think that I normally use a minimum of about five teaspoons of spice (curry powder, chilli, cumin, fenugreek, ...) and  CA's contains just over three.  My wife (and her family) would have approved of the addition of sugar, not an ingredient I would normally consider in a curry; it didn't do anything for me, but nor did it detract from the dish in any way.  I added chopped coriander stalks at the end, and they certainly made it far more interesting than it would have been without.

Remains will be blended with my left-over goat curry sauce and (probably) eaten tomorrow.  Interestingly, no trace of the raw curry powder smell that I reported earlier today in my write-up of my experiences with CA's base; I don't have an explanation for that at the moment, but it may be that the smell becomes more obvious as the curry ages -- the goat curry I served to Khanh's family was about three days old.

Next Madras to try will be Chewy Tikka's.

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes