Author Topic: Madras Sauce Video Recipe  (Read 72582 times)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Madras Sauce Video Recipe
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 10:41 PM »
Hi Chewy,

Tried this sauce today with your base curry - WoW, spot on with a takeaway Madras round my way! (Newcastle) ;D

Excellent work!

TBD
Hi TBD
Glad you tried it and had a result ;D
Next time chuck some chicken in, at the 2 minute mark...yum ;)
cheers chewy

Offline madstwatter

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 10:43 AM »
Hi Chewy,

Your watered down tomato puree looked orangy in colour - not sure if that is just the video. How much water do you use to dilute the puree?

Fantastic video - Can't wait to try, just need a new sieve and some Kashmiri Chilli Powder!

By the way, where did you get your pan. I am after a similar one.

Cheers

Mads

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 11:41 AM »
Hi Chewy,

Your watered down tomato puree looked orangy in colour - not sure if that is just the video. How much water do you use to dilute the puree?

Fantastic video - Can't wait to try, just need a new sieve and some Kashmiri Chilli Powder!

By the way, where did you get your pan. I am after a similar one.

Cheers

Mads
Hi madstwatter
Thanks, glad you liked the Vid!
Add enough water to the tomato puree to make it like a thick tomato juice,
try a 3 to 1 ratio. (I'ts not that critical as long as its a runny liquid)
My well hammered favourite pan! Had it for years!
10inch/24cm Ally, You can get these at asian supermarkets, they retail at
under a tenner or you can get them online, but more expensive.
There's a thread here -
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5632.0
Cheers

Offline madstwatter

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 05:20 PM »
Hi Chewy,

I made a Madras with your 3 Hour base and was very impressed. In fact, it was probably the best I have ever made. I think the sieving of the base, Kashmiri Chilli Powder and cooking on a high temperature with the lid on for the last 30 seconds until the oil separates made the most difference from my previous efforts.

I still think there is a slight taste difference to my favourite BIR but the more I think about it the more I think that the missing taste may be down to the cooking of chicken bones in the base. I'll add some homemade chicken stock to my next batch as I am sure it will give me an indication whether this is worth pursuing.

Many thanks for the recipes, btw do you have a particular precooked chicken method?

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 11:34 PM »
Hi Chewy,

I made a Madras with your 3 Hour base and was very impressed. In fact, it was probably the best I have ever made. I think the sieving of the base, Kashmiri Chilli Powder and cooking on a high temperature with the lid on for the last 30 seconds until the oil separates made the most difference from my previous efforts.

I still think there is a slight taste difference to my favourite BIR but the more I think about it the more I think that the missing taste may be down to the cooking of chicken bones in the base. I'll add some homemade chicken stock to my next batch as I am sure it will give me an indication whether this is worth pursuing.

Many thanks for the recipes, btw do you have a particular precooked chicken method?
Hi Mads
Glad you gave the recipes a try, I think if you keep at it, you should produce better than your favourite BIR.
The thing is about Madras and BIR cooking in general, if you went to ten restaurants in your area and ordered Madras, they would all probably be similar, but no two would be identical, in taste or even Chilli strength. Unlike if you opened a tin of Heinz tomato soup or a can of Coca-Cola, you would be confident to get the same taste every time.
There simply is no "absolute" recipe in BIR cooking.

The curry base is easily flavoured and changed with any kind of stock or flavour enhancer, after all it is only "onion water"
e.g. put a couple of Indian bay leaves and a cinnamon stick in it, on the final boil/simmer, say 20 minutes and those two Indian
flavours will shine through, in the finished sauce.

On precooking Chicken
I prefer Roast Chicken most of the time or Breast baked in foil
just seasoned with salt and pepper

Cheers and have fun ;)

Offline madstwatter

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 08:02 AM »
Yes, you are bang on about that. I have eaten a Madras in every BIR in my town (about 15 Restaurants and T/As) and there has been big differences in each dish. Your recipe for me was much, much better than the vast majority already and with more practise I think I can make it even better.

I have always chopped and changed bases and cooking methods but now I intend to use this and improve my cooking techniques.

Thanks again

Nick

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 12:41 PM »
Hi Mads i made a base sauce here http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5674.0
using an ASDA ready cooked whole chicken and i must admit it did make a difference when i made a madras or jalfrezi recipe.

Offline t-c

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 07:31 PM »
Hi Chewy.
I made your madras using your base sauce, and madras recipe and it was delicious, so I polished off the madras I had intended freezing  ;D

This is the first time I've made a madras from start to finish, there are lots of things that I need to practice and learn, but that just takes time.

Thank you :)

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2011, 01:28 PM »
Hi Chewy.
I made your madras using your base sauce, and madras recipe and it was delicious, so I polished off the madras I had intended freezing  ;D

This is the first time I've made a madras from start to finish, there are lots of things that I need to practice and learn, but that just takes time.

Thank you :)
Hi tc
Glad you had a result, first time of trying. practice makes perfect, as they say. ;)

I cooked my simple Chicken Curry Madras Hot, late last night.
Which is basically my Pudina Murgh recipe, tweaked with extra chilli and no mint.
You may want to give this one a go, as its really very tasty.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5902.msg58246#msg58246
cheers Chewy

Offline t-c

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2011, 02:41 PM »
Hey Chewy.
I've just watched your mint chicken video, and your right fella, it does look very tasty.  So you won't be surprised to know, I'll be giving this one ago in the week, and will let you know how I get one. 
It's gonna sound daft, but if like me, I find someone/product I like and can trust I'll always go back to it, and as I've always had good personal results from your recipe's Chewy, I'll always try the recipes you've rated, they may not turn out as BIR but as as you said practice makes perfect  ;)

Cheers.
tc

©2024 Curry Recipes