Author Topic: Chicken Saag - spinach and chicken curry  (Read 36268 times)

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Saag - spinach and chicken curry
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 08:03 PM »
Hi
George, an excellent point. Never thought I could have gotten away with recommending we find a supermarket curry to gauge opinion. Thank you, will get one and try.
Regards

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 08:57 PM »
Not really a fan of supermarket curries/indian dishes but, looking at the ingredients, there doesn't seem to be anything to worry about here from a health point of view.

Really, guys, you should give this specific product- Morrisons Saag Masala - a try. I think it's delicious

You know George that ain't a bad idea. The one thing we lack as a forum is a reference point for the curries we make. But we probably (almost) all live near to a Morrisons so yes, I'll be trying it, and I'll report back when I do.

Offline Gezh

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 11:23 PM »
Back to the topic...

My Chicken Saag was great, just like the real thing. Perfect when you want something milder with good flavour.

I had a big bag of spinach, and pureed around 200g, then chucked in 50g of fresh leaves as the recipe suggests. Very good with chicken tikka.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 01:30 AM »
Let's see, you were forced out of being a moderator. You were forced to air your often manic views on the forum instead of the cowardly way you used to air them, i.e. in PMs and rapidly edited posts (to remove the offensive stuff). Utter coward

And, as always SS, you're talking utter rubbish... ::)

Oh, and pick your rattle up on the way out!

Awwww, did you drop it then mate?   ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010, 01:33 AM »
The one thing we lack as a forum is a reference point for the curries we make. But we probably (almost) all live near to a Morrisons so yes, I'll be trying it, and I'll report back when I do.

Hahahahaaha!  What a laugh!  So we're now going to use supermarket curries as our reference point!  Un....ficking....REAL SS!  Please add vesta to your list....   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Oh, I can't wait for your report back SS....sterling work, the pair of you (shakes head in utter disbelief)..... ::)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 04:43 PM »
Back to the topic...

My Chicken Saag was great, just like the real thing. Perfect when you want something milder with good flavour.

Thanks for trying it Gezh. I'm particularly pleased that it seems like the real thing for you because as I said I've never actually eaten one in a BIR!

Would you recommend any alterations to make it even better/more BIR like?

Offline Gezh

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 05:28 PM »
Back to the topic...

Thanks for trying it Gezh. I'm particularly pleased that it seems like the real thing for you because as I said I've never actually eaten one in a BIR!

Would you recommend any alterations to make it even better/more BIR like?

To be honest, no!

As I have said, if I go out with family, one of them usually orders this (I usually go for something hotter). My partner had this last night, and said it was perfect, and I had to agree, a really pleasing result - it was gulped down in seconds. I think using precooked tikka meat is important, and using pureed spinach (whether it is fresh or tinned) rather than whole leaves gives the right texture.

To add to the flavour, I would add some thinly sliced garlic and green chilli in it, to taste, as you often find this - particularly is saag side dishes.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 05:35 PM »
Hahahahaaha!  What a laugh!  So we're now going to use supermarket curries as our reference point!  Un....ficking....REAL SS!  Please add vesta to your list....   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Nobody is being asked or forced to use this specific supermarket curry as a reference, or for anything else but, I've tasted a lot worse food in BIRs  - that's for sure. Your mention of Vesta is inappropriate and unhelpful.

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2010, 06:39 PM »
This is my second favorite dish. I cook it very well but not to restaurant standard at present.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2010, 08:19 PM »
To add to the flavour, I would add some thinly sliced garlic and green chilli in it, to taste, as you often find this - particularly is saag side dishes.

Oh nice! Is this added in with the sauce or as a tarka (garnish)?

I also meant to ask, did you use any cream?

Thanks.

©2024 Curry Recipes