Author Topic: CA's Chicken Madras  (Read 85849 times)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Madras
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2010, 12:41 PM »
SS,

I think it's a food hygiene issue Ray.

Good shout!, that makes a lot of sense to me now.  I agree with you on the lamb also.  I have put up a post requesting a good 'melt in the mouth' recipe, you don't happen to know of one do you?

Ray :)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2010, 01:58 PM »
I made this last night using your base recipe too CA. Didn't work for me personally

Hi Deadman,

Thanks for trying the recipes and reporting back  :)

As Ray asks, is there anything you omitted from (or added to) either the curry base or madras recipe?  If so, what?

Assuming you made them EXACTLY to spec, I can only offer you the following advice:

Quote from: deadman
I found the consistency a little runny

You might try:

• Reducing it for longer and/or at higher temperature (until it is the consistency you desire), and/or
  • Adding less curry base

and the flavour under - spiced

I'm a little surprised by this but, assuming you have made it to spec, I suggest you consider:

• reducing it further (i.e. longer time and/or higher temperature - as above) should develop more flavour from the spices (and other ingredients)
  • adding more curry masala and/or curry powder (I see no problem with adding more)
  • adding a teaspoon of commercial madras paste (or something similar).  You might be surprised by the result!  I would caution against adding too much though, you'll end up with it being overly tart (due to the preservatives, acids, regulators, stabilisers, vinegar, etc)

Next time I'll reduce the oil, double the spice

I see no problem with you doubling the spices (assuming you made it exactly to spec this time?) but I would caution against reducing the oil (especially if you increase the quantity of spices).  Why do you feel you need to do this?  I'd suggest you spoon off any excess at the end and save it (spiced oil!  Smell it!) to make your next curry.

and fry off the chicken separately

Assuming you mean to use precooked chicken?  If so, that's fine (it's in the recipe as an option anyway).  Just be careful because it is easier to burn the garlic/ginger/spices if you go this route.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 02:33 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2010, 02:07 PM »
Ray, They use pre-cooked chicken for the same reason they use a number of other prepared elements in the kitchen, speed and continuity. If you think about, it only takes them just shy of 6 mins to produce a dish. You certainly couldn't cook suitably sized chicken pieces in that time.

But like you, I cook fresh as I am afforded more time to do so. But I kebab my chicken and cook it in a very hot oven for 12 mins. Which also allows me to add flavour to the chicken before cooking to, with the result being a pre-cooked chicken that's simply added to the finished sauce just like a BIR. Works for me anyway. :)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2010, 02:12 PM »
If you think about, it only takes them just shy of 6 mins to produce a dish. You certainly couldn't cook suitably sized chicken pieces in that time

I think you can Axe, it takes next to no time to cook bite sized cubes of chicken breast.  I can certainly cook a chicken curry (using raw chicken) in around 6 minutes (such as this madras recipe).

I can only presume they do it for the reason SS suggests....and/or for the added flavour.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2010, 02:25 PM »
You probably right CA, I was going to add but didn't, that it depends on the size of the chicken pieces.

I'm happy to go with all the theories rolled in to one.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2010, 02:38 PM »
Pre-cooked lamb, I can totally understand but not chicken.  As CA say's, I also can cook this recipe in 6 mins and never have any raw chicken in the dish, and it's so tender and succulent.

SS has sold me the Hygiene theory, chicken can be really nasty stuff if not treated with care.

Offline Deadman

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2010, 03:57 PM »
Hi everyone.

Don't get me wrong, this was still yummy, it's obviously my fault and I must have been having an 'off night'  :o

I think it was down to me washing my chicken and some excess water got in there and I didn't get rid of the moisture well enough.

Also I've never used CA's spice mix before. It's lovely but isn't as spicy as my normal mix (which is no bad thing, I just need to add more)

Big thanks CA.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2010, 04:48 PM »
Hi Deadman,

What is your spice mix?  Would you care to post the recipe please :)?

Offline Deadman

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2010, 10:03 PM »
Hi Razor. I use Tbsps here. It's:

1 turmeric
0.5 asafoetida
1 cumin powder
1 fenugreek powder
1 paprika
1 turmeric
1 garlic powder
1 methi leaves (rubbed)
1 coriander powder
0.5 chilli powder
1 mustard seeds
1 madras curry powder

Normally I mix around 3 heaped Tbsps of this with a little water to make a paste and fry off after I've added the usual 1 tsp of garlic/0.5 tsp of ginger. Then the rest (ie. tomato paste etc. etc.)

It's very spicy but not hot.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2010, 10:42 PM »
Hi DM,

Interesting mix.  Quite a lot of Methi in this (not one for you Jerry I don't think, lol)

I've added the usual 1 tsp of garlic/0.5 tsp of ginger. Then the rest (ie. tomato paste etc.

Do you add this to the paste or separately? and if so, do you add more garlic and ginger to the main dish?.

Just another point DM,  would you be so kind as to post this recipe in the Supplementary section here http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?board=28.0 and give it your unique title such as 'Deadman's Spice Paste'  It seems a shame that you have gone to all the effort of posting your paste here and maybe not too many members will see it?

On the mustard seeds, do you roast them and grind them or are they as they come?

Sorry for all the questions, but it will help you when you post your recipe, if you can make these points clear.

Brilliant DM, thanks.

©2024 Curry Recipes