Author Topic: biryani  (Read 20680 times)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: biryani
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2010, 01:11 PM »
Hi SS,

There's a couple of new videos up on this site for biryani fans:

I can't get them to play.  I get about a seconds worth then it just stops and starts.  Any suggestions?

Ray :(

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2010, 01:52 PM »
i'm used to quite a light dry fluffy rice in biryani and i feel the quicker less frying approach of Dipuraja seem to suit our needs.

Ah well that's where we differ Jerry! I like a slight moistness to my biryani and that's what that spoon of base adds. The way you prefer it isn't a biryani in my opinion, it's just a fried rice, and the photo you posted of the biryani you recently made certainly looks like a fried rice.

The biryani in this video looks the way I would expect a BIR biryani to look. The only thing missing for me would be a bit of coconut powder, but that's probably a regional thing.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2010, 06:30 PM »
I did ask about this and Shah told me that the reduction time also allows for extra cooking time to reheat the chicken correctly rather than just frying in oil for the time needed which may burn the spices,
Mick

Achmal,

appreciate the extra understanding - makes sense now. i tend only to use pre cooked meat.

Secret Santa,

my up bringing on the biryani was in the midlands - Dipuraja's method has got me closest to it and i'm completely happy with the product.

i've sort of tried the spoon of base method in trying the more traditional approach. i get the balance through the addition of plain curry sauce so that dryness is not a problem.

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2010, 07:15 PM »
I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear enough, this also was pre cooked chicken,
Mick

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2010, 07:28 AM »
Achmal,

sorry - u were clear enough - i'd not really been clear enough myself. i do use pre cooked meat (like all BIR) and don't find the reheat a problem relying on the whole of the cooking cycle - that's what i was trying to say.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2010, 01:18 PM »
Ah well that's where we differ Jerry! I like a slight moistness to my biryani and that's what that spoon of base adds. The way you prefer it isn't a biryani in my opinion, it's just a fried rice, and the photo you posted of the biryani you recently made certainly looks like a fried rice.

I'm sure you're right.  I prefer the almost risotto type creaminess you get with some BIR birianis. My guess is that they add a bit of base sauce to achieve the moist texture.

©2024 Curry Recipes