Author Topic: chicken tikka rezalla  (Read 5173 times)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
chicken tikka rezalla
« on: October 07, 2016, 07:30 PM »
Here's how I cooked the chicken tikka rezalla when I did my latest curry feast here...

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,14544.0.html

Rezalla is not something I find on a lot of menus here in Essex.The places that do actually have it on their menu all seem to do it or describe it different ways.
One place cooks it with keema meat,one has it with mango sauce and one puts coconut in it.A google search on rezalla recipes is even more confusing.

However,there is one place that cooks an amazing rezalla near me,It's the same place where Curryhell's North Indian Special originated.Every time I visit this place a rezalla is a must.They list it as a hot spicy curry with chillies and a 'special red hot sauce'.It's a curry to die for.Unfortunately,unlike my takeaway kitchen(the place I visit at the weekend) the staff and chefs here keep their recipes very much to themselves.There is a distinctive taste to it which I cannot quite pinpoint.

Anyway,amongst my many recipes,notebooks and scribbles from various places I actually came across a rezalla recipe that I found a couple of years ago and forgot about.I have no idea where it originated so apologies if anyone recognizes it.The thing is,I cooked it the other week when I did my curry feast and I was amazed at how close it was to the rezalla from the restaurant.The thing is my recipe also contains a 'special red hot sauce'.Not really special when you know what goes in it but I'm guessing that the restaurant version is very similar.Here is my version...

First off make the red sauce...In a bowl mix together 2 tablespoons of smooth mango chutney,2 tablespoons of tamarind sauce,2 tablespoons of ketchup,2 tablespoons of Mr naga pickle,half teaspoon of red colour and a little water to thin out.The actual sauce is quite delicious in itself,I've tasted some wonderful  popadam dips before and they've tasted quite like the red sauce.

Then make the curry in the usual way....In a hot pan add a chef spoon of mixed veg oil/ghee.Add half a teaspoon of chopped garlic and brown.Add some service onions, a pinch of methi,some salt,tablespoon of blended plum tomatoes,tablespoon mix powder,some lemon juice,teaspoon of chilli and a little gravy so nothing burns.After a short while add some pre cooked chicken tikka,2 tablespoons of red sauce,some chopped green chilli and a ladle of gravy.Cook this on a high heat for at least five minutes,adding a little more gravy but not stiring too much,just scrape the sides back into the pan.When the sauce is quite thick add some corrainder and serve.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: chicken tikka rezalla
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 10:50 AM »
A little nugget shared there jb  :)  The red sauce you describe is very close to CBM's Bengali tamarind sauce which I have used ever since discovering it in one of his books.  I have found that It works just as well in NIS as imli or mr maggi tamarind sauce. and as you say it makes a superb dip for poppadums.  I always get requests for it to accompany samosas and onion bhajis when i am supplying the work colleagues.
Enjoying all the info you've been posting from Vindaloo.  Just have not had time to comment.  But i will make the effort now as winter approaches and I finally have some time to spend in the kitchen.  Was very impressed with your spread the other Sunday  :P  Fantastic job.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: chicken tikka rezalla
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 08:02 PM »
Again JB thanks for posting these little gems.

©2024 Curry Recipes