Author Topic: Chicken Bhuna - Finally Cracked It!!  (Read 127684 times)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Bhuna - Finally Cracked It!!
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 11:28 PM »

This looks great and it's nice to see someone saying they rate it 98% which makes me wonder of it's actually a 100% but you are being a bit modest?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 04:03 AM »
Hi 976bar,

What is it, do you think, that has enabled you to "finally crack it"? 

Is it the star anise?  The "Hot Curry Oil"?  The "spiced oil" in the base (what is this please?)?  All three?  And/or something else?

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 05:44 AM »
Hi Stephen/Cory,

I've always managed to get the consistency of a Bhuna, that part was relatively easy, but there was always always always something missing in the depth of flavour for me. As I have said earlier, I have had Bhuna's in many restaurants with a lot of disappointing results, there are probably only around 4 or 5 restaurants where I first tasted their Bhuna and thought WOW!!!

I think having followed this site now for around 5 years, every time I see a new recipe go up on here it always seems pretty much the same with the exception of a few, i.e. 1 tsp garlic paste, 1 tsp ginger paste, 1 tsp of this or that. Don't get me wrong this works absolutely fine for a lot of recipes, but I feel some recipes call for more.

Looking at it now, the addition of 5 cloves of garlic very finely chopped certainly added depth of flavour along with the addition of 1 tsp of methi leaves. I upped the chopped fresh coriander too to a big bunch which I cooked with the curry, then a sprinkling on top to finish.

Whether the oil made a difference or not I am not sure as I have totally revamped a lot of ingredients. Next time I'll try it without the spiced oil and see. But I do have to say that this new spiced oil also has enhanced not only the base sauce I make but a lot of other dishes too.

I wish I had made some of you're spiced oil earlier in the programme Cory, I think it will make a difference.

Regards,

Bob  :)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 09:18 PM »
So after a lot of tweaking over the months I have today made what I think is an excellent Bhuna. But give it a whirl and let me all know you're thoughts please.

Enjoy!!  :)

WOW  :o :o :P. That looks absolutely amazing 976.  If you think you've cracked it, being a bhuna eater then you must be at least 98% there or more ;).  Personally I've never had the dish but based on those pictures i will definitely being trying it.  It would be good to add another recipe to the repertoire.  Nice one mate ;D ;D. Job well done.

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 09:21 PM »
absolutely stunning....

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 09:59 PM »
Hi 976 going to make this tomorrow but a question what spice mix did you use?

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 05:29 AM »
Hi 976 going to make this tomorrow but a question what spice mix did you use?

Hi Uncle Frank,

I used taz's spice mix along with his base which I modified slightly with the hot curry oil.

Enjoy :)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 04:38 PM »
Thanks 976.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 10:04 AM »
Hi 976 made this last night and WOW it was just like a TA the only difference i did was instead of crushing the 5 fresh cloves of garlic i finely sliced them but still added the TSP minced garlic. The smell when the Hot Curry oil and oil started to heat up it smells like curry heaven.
Very, very impressed with this dish 976 thanks a lot for posting.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 10:47 AM »
Hi 976 made this last night and WOW it was just like a TA the only difference i did was instead of crushing the 5 fresh cloves of garlic i finely sliced them but still added the TSP minced garlic. The smell when the Hot Curry oil and oil started to heat up it smells like curry heaven.
Very, very impressed with this dish 976 thanks a lot for posting.

You're welcome UF,

I'm glad you enjoyed it and the extra garlic and that curry oil really make a difference I think :)

©2024 Curry Recipes