Author Topic: Zaal - Restaurant Base / Garabi  (Read 127414 times)

Offline Curry addict bob

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Zaal - Restaurant Base / Garabi
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2015, 11:44 PM »
I've twice made a scaled down version of this and it's spot on love it
Regards Bob.

Offline dave3310

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2015, 07:12 AM »
Made this base last night, then knocked up a madras ------ very very impressed.

Offline Chillyheat

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2015, 03:06 PM »
Just a quick question...
Whats best to use, cinnamon or cassia bark, for the stock ?
Many thanks

Offline Curry addict bob

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2015, 07:17 PM »
Hi chillyheat I use a 2" piece of cinnamon it works well for me
Regards Bob.

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2015, 10:43 PM »
Hi chillyheat, I really can't see it making that much difference either way. Most restaurants seem to use cassia these days but I know of some diehard old style BIRs which  seem to favour cinnamon.

Offline Chillyheat

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2015, 07:29 AM »
The base gravy turned out very well. Am impressed...Just need help in finding out what Madras recipe suits this base gravy the best.
Many thanks

Offline crE

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2016, 08:07 AM »
Hi all

I did this recipe to the measurements

Then adapted it to a jalfrezi style curry.

I have made a huge batch for a party tonight, but, it tastes very sweet, almost toffee/butterscotchy? Is this a common problem?

The curry isn't terrible, it has the right consistency, but it has this flavour that isn't right. Is there a quick fix to rectify this? Should I add something into the curry?

Thank you :)  :)

Offline sotonowl

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2017, 06:57 PM »
This base is top notch, i've tried a few from this site now and this is the best one. I'm of the opinion though that too much onus is put on the quality of base sauces. I reckon they don't influence the finished article like most people think, the secret I have found to be in the cooking technique of the final curries. Mine are now up there with the best restaurants or takeaways I've tried. It's taken some time to get there but I'm finally happy, I feel i've arrived at my destination and to quite an extent it's thanks to this site, thanks to admin and everyone.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2017, 08:35 PM »
This base is top notch, i've tried a few from this site now and this is the best one. I'm of the opinion though that too much onus is put on the quality of base sauces. I reckon they don't influence the finished article like most people think, the secret I have found to be in the cooking technique of the final curries. Mine are now up there with the best restaurants or takeaways I've tried. It's taken some time to get there but I'm finally happy, I feel i've arrived at my destination and to quite an extent it's thanks to this site, thanks to admin and everyone.

sotonowl

It's good to hear that you have achieved what you are looking for. What do you think is the key to your success, technique wise?

king regards

SL

Offline sotonowl

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2017, 05:28 PM »

sotonowl

It's good to hear that you have achieved what you are looking for. What do you think is the key to your success, technique wise?

king regards

SL

Sorry SL, didn't see your question until just now. In this base sauce recipe it allows for the frying of the spices which I think is fundamental. Some other recipes have you adding spices to boiling pots. I think that gives an edge to this base sauce as opposed to other sauces I've tried. Also, I really make sure when adding spices that they are added to very hot oil. I make Bhunas and Jalfrezi regularly where I like the onions and bell peppers well cooked, some recipes have you cook them first and add latter, but I soften the veg and the pan will need additional oil for the spices. I add new oil and make sure it's sizzling before I add the spices. I believe the spice mix and the cooking out of the spices are the critical point.

©2024 Curry Recipes