Author Topic: CA's Chicken Vindaloo  (Read 71384 times)

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Vindaloo
« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2012, 05:33 PM »
I can't believe it's took me so long to get around to trying this recipe......BUT, i finally tried it last night and yes................just like CA's other recipes, it is excellent.

I can't handle a normal vindaloo strength, and I have to admit that my mate (vindaloo fan) complained it wasn't hot enough, but he said the flavour was 100% bang on. I realised that, due to being distracted, i only put in one tsp of Kashmiri chilli instead of 2. This was perfect for me, and i really enjoyed it without suffering heat stress.

Thanks again CA!! :)

Offline SteveAUS

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2012, 07:38 AM »
Making this tomorrow. Looking forward to it. I'll let you know how it goes.
Cheers
Steve

P.S. Blades chicken tikka for dinner tonight with salad, mint coriander raita, home make mango pickle and a few poppodoms!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 07:51 AM by SteveAUS »

Offline Buttercup01

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2012, 11:08 AM »
I have just made this and it is lovely!! Used CA's curry base as well   :D I love vindaloo, the only change I will make next time is make it a bit hotter!! I can't believe it has taken me all this time to find this site!!! Can't wait to try other recipes  ;D

P.S love the name by the way  ;D

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2012, 09:13 PM »
So this evening I made CA's Chicken Vindaloo.  I cut the breasts from a corn-fed free range chicken and they weighed 450gm (1 1/2 x CA's recommendation), so bearing in mind my report that I found his Madras to be underspiced, I increased the spicing two-fold (exceptions noted below).  The end result was not as good as I had hoped : I felt that the dish was lacking "synergy" -- in other words, it was not more than the sum of its parts, it /was/ the sum of its parts, and some of those parts were a little too obvious in the final dish.  In particular I found the tang of the vinegar unpleasant, and was not entirely happy with the detectable presence of the freshly ground black pepper.  As with the Madras, adding chopped coriander stalks lifted the dish considerably.  Will I repeat it ?  Not as-is.  I will replace the vinegar by lime- or lemon juice, and power-grind the black pepper rather than using a hand mill.

Deviations from recipe :

450gm chicken, 450ml base, all spices doubled except the ground chillies (they were increased by a factor of 1.5), salt doubled, sugar halved.  75ml oil left as-is (not scaled) and oil content of final dish was perfect.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 10:21 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline SteveAUS

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 01, 2012, 04:45 AM »
Made this last night using the CA base. My first BIR dish!! Unfortunately I was half pissed and forgot the container with vinegar and dissolved salt and sugar. I was actually kind of enjoying it until the wife asked me what the container was for on the kitchen bench. Im presuming the cracked pepper goes in with the other powders? I used 400gms of chicken and 400mls of base and 3 tspns of chilli powder instead of 2. I think I needed to cook the spices a bit more as it did taste of raw chilli powder (I think?). It was also kind of grainy (in texture) as if the powders hadnt dissolved properly?? Im sure cooked properly it will be nice but I was disappointed. Entirely my fault. Looked bloody nice though and was impressed with the consistency and how the base sauce worked and brought it all together. I didnt bother with the potato. Oh and my pan wasnt big enough so made a right mess lolol!
Cheers
Steve

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2012, 10:54 AM »
Making this today got a few questions ,what type of chilli is used, if a green chilli are you chopping finely with seeds left in.
Is the black pepper corns ground finely or coarsely.
Haven't cooked a Vindaloo before hence the questions.
Thanks.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2012, 12:53 PM »
Hi UF,

• "milled black peppercorns" (i.e. black peppercorn powder - fine or coarse, up to you - I would use fine)
  • Any fresh chillies that are the hottest that you care to use (I would include the seeds....but it's the pith that's the hottest)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2012, 12:55 PM »
Thanks CA.

Offline Korvgrillaren

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2012, 08:27 AM »
Schnap Attack, what a CURRY!!!
Just made this one, and it was so amazing, I'm lost for words!!!
I live in Sweden, and eat vindaloo at least 2 times a week, at my local SIR's(Swedish Indian restaurants  :) ).
No more eat-in out! I have never tasted such a good vindaloo!

First I made CA's Curry Masala and Tandori Masala. Then i made Darth's Curry Base (Bigger size recipe).
Finally i made the CA's vindaloo and the outcome was (moderated)

I thought the vindaloo i used to eat at my SIR was the sh*t, but now i know better.
Thank you CA for this amazing curry (moderated)

Bad language removed by George
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 01:08 AM by George »

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2012, 10:29 AM »
Thank you CA for this amazing curry (moderated)

Welcome to the forum Korvgrillaren .  Glad to hear you had success with this recipe :D. The forum is awash with spam posts at the moment but it does contain many excellent recipes from other members and  for you to try.  Good luck and let us know how you get on ;)

Bad language removed from quote, by George.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 01:09 AM by George »

©2024 Curry Recipes