Author Topic: Kushi Basic Balti  (Read 29903 times)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Kushi Basic Balti
« on: February 14, 2010, 10:29 PM »
This recipe comes from the "Authentic Balti Curry" cookbook ISBN 141205592 - X

125 Kushi base     http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4283.0
1 1/2 tsp Kushi spice mix  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1547.0   
300g of Kushi Chicken/lamb/Vegetable  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?board=28.0   
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1/4 medium onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 fresh tomato chopped.

Take a Balti bowl or Wok, and add the vegetable oil.  Over a high heat, fry the garlic, unitl light brown.

Add the onion, and fry for a minute or so, until golden brown.

Remove from the heat, and stir in 1 1/2 of "Kushi Spice".  Return to a low heat, stirring constantly to prevent burning.

Add the pre-cooked chicken/lamb/vegetables and simmer for a minute.

Add the base sauce and bring to the boil, stirring constantly.

Add the tomato, simmer for two minutes, garnish with fresh coriander leaves and stir.

Serve with rice, naan, chapatti or what ever you like.

Interesting section in the book; reads as follows:

With only a minor alteration you can make your Balti dish into a hotter curry - a Balti Madras.

Just add 1 tsp of chilli powder at the same time as the "Kushi" spice.

For Vindaloo, 2 tsp chilli powder
For Phall, 3 tsp chilli powder

Now I can't personally comment on this as I've never tried to do it but after bringing this up on the forum previously, some members think that the taste of Madras and Vindaloo can't be achieved by simply increasing the amount of chilli powder.  I , in theory, agree but I guess the proof of the pudding...and all that!

Ray
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:55 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Kushi Basic Balti
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 09:22 AM »
Razor,

given that back to basic's is in i've written a sticky out for this to try when i make the base next w/e.

the proportions don't sit well with me on the spice and base - i'm gradually reducing spice mix from a std of 1 tsp per 300ml of base to 0.5 tsp. this recipe would suggest using 3.5 tsp. just seems a lot of spice.

will let u know how i get on.

ps on the vindaloo etc what they mean is to make the dish "vindaloo" hot not make it a vindaloo - there's a big difference.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 05:43 PM »
Hi Jerry,

ps on the vindaloo etc what they mean is to make the dish "vindaloo" hot not make it a vindaloo - there's a big difference.

Yes, on reading the section again, with a bit more thought, I think you're probably correct, although, they don't have a specific recipe for either madras or vindaloo.

will let u know how i get on.

Please do!

Ray

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 06:38 PM »
Hi Jerry,

Just thinking about your comments on the spice mix and base!

the proportions don't sit well with me on the spice and base - i'm gradually reducing spice mix from a std of 1 tsp per 300ml of base to 0.5 tsp. this recipe would suggest using 3.5 tsp. just seems a lot of spice.

This base doesn't give up much oil in the final dish meaning that very little reduction needs to happen.  Im guessing that using 300ml of base will require a bit of reduction to release the oil?  I also think it's worth mentioning, that in the spice mix, there is also garlic and ginger powder aswell as methi, something that I haven't seen in other blends.  This could account for the level of spice mix required?  Believe it or not, this is the least amount of spice mix required throughout the recipes in the book, some actually requiring 3 tsp if using pre-cooked prawns!

If you stick to the recipe to the letter, you will end up with a restaurant size portion, which is what I end up with even when I've used double the amount of (other) base sauces because of the reduction process.

I know I keep harping on about it ::) but the high level of spice, the low amount of base, could this be the difference between Balti and BIR?

Hope this helps!

Ray

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 03:08 AM »
this recipe would suggest using 3.5 tsp. just seems a lot of spice.

Nothing wrong with using this amount of spice (in my opinion)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 03:16 AM »
the high level of spice, the low amount of base, could this be the difference between Balti and BIR?

Yes, in part, baltis are generally more stir fried (less sauce) and aromatic, I believe
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 04:52 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 03:18 AM »
on the vindaloo etc what they mean is to make the dish "vindaloo" hot not make it a vindaloo - there's a big difference.

A vindaloo is basically a madras with more chilli in it and minimal other additional ingredients.  A phal (or tindaloo or bindaloo) is the same but with more chilli still in it.  The book's correct.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 03:33 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 08:23 AM »
A vindaloo is basically a madras with more chilli in it and minimal other additional ingredients.  A phal (or tindaloo or bindaloo) is the same but with more chilli still in it.  The book's correct.

this may be what some have experienced but it's certainly not universal. there is no way u can get to a vindaloo from a madras by chilli alone. they are very different dishes. don't be taken in by imitations.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 08:32 AM »
Razor,

i'll try it to spec for sure - i think u could well be right on the spice being a differentiator. i'm not sure on the amount of sauce though. balti for me says naan bread not rice and u need more sauce with a naan.

my own observation of balti is more sauce and less meat.

i don't have any problem getting oil to release (if i want). it's simply down to how much oil i use at dish frying. 6 tbsp will guarantee oil on the surface. 4 tbsp is what i use as std for most dishes. a lot of this oil goes in smoke though. in fact i can't cook without a lot of oil - black debris for sure otherwise.

my observations on the amount of spice are purely down to side by side comparison with real BIR TA. i always remember my disbelief at a BE recipe (posted) which called for 0.5 tsp spice - i was a disbeliever at the time but less is more for me these days.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 09:59 AM »
there is no way u can get to a vindaloo from a madras by chilli alone. they are very different dishes. don't be taken in by imitations.

Unfortunately, for you, that's simply not generally the case Jerry.

©2024 Curry Recipes