Author Topic: Terry's Chicken Balti  (Read 16412 times)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Terry's Chicken Balti
« on: May 18, 2006, 07:10 PM »
This is a chicken balti recipe from Terry (ifindforu), if he's others are anything to go by it should be a good'un  8)

First add to a non stick wok or fryin pan half a green pepper 2 onions, half cup of oil or gee,1 tomato cut in four,1 desert spoon of tomato puree, 2 desert spoons of methi, 1 teaspoon of g+g,and a teaspoon full of special mix.Start to fry all togetheraftre 5 mins add atespoon of sugar by this time everything is cooking down Now add 2 breasts of raw chicken cut into pieces and sprinkle over them about a teaspoon of all purpose seasoning and start to move about in the pan or wok add now about 2 cups of curry base.and throw in a good quantity of fresh coriander about 2 desert spoonsfry for a futher 5-6 mins.Now put on a gas ring a balti bowl to heat up for about 4-5 mins whatch your fingers put in the balti bowl half teaspoon of gee or oil with 1/4 teaspoon of garlic.Straight away start adding from the wok the chicken and sauce and all other that you fried.dont worry about the flames,as its the heat and the flames that will alter the flavour I personaly add about 5 chopped green fresh chillies when cooking by the way make sure the chicken in just cooked in the wok not over cooked and not under cooked remove the balti dish off the gas after about 4 mins and serve with rice TERRY

I havn't had time to format it so if anyone else wants to feel free otherwise I will do it tommorow.

cK

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Terry's Chicken Balti
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 07:34 PM »
This one sounds good to me and on the similar lines to a Jalfrezi.  I will use more chillies when I make it at the weekend.  Thanks Terry.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 10:39 AM »
I haven't had time to format it so if anyone else wants to, feel free. Otherwise I will do it tommorow

Will do!

INGREDIENTS

Half a green pepper, finely chopped
2 onions, finely chopped
Half a cup of vegetable oil or vegetable ghee (which does original recipe use???)
1 tomato, quartered
1 level desert spoon of tomato puree
2 level desert spoons of methi
1 level teaspoon of garlic/ginger paste (50/50 mix)
1 level tsp of ?special mix? (see below)
1 level tsp granulated sugar
2 breasts of raw chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 tsp Rajah All Purpose Seasoning
2 cups of Terry?s curry base
2 level desert spoons of fresh coriander (chopped)

0.5 level tsp vegetable oil or vegetable ghee (which does original recipe use???)
0.25 level tsp finely chopped garlic
5 chopped green fresh chillies (or less, according to personal taste)

INGREDIENTS FOR "SPECIAL MIX"

This mix is assumed to be same as Terry's mix for Tikka Marinade. It is made up of:
 4 level table spoons of coriander powder
 3.5 level table spoons of turmeric
 2.5 level table spoons of cummin powder
 1 level table spoon of paprika powder
 2 level table spoons Rajah Gold Madras curry powder

BALTI METHOD

(a) WOK

1. Pour vegetable oil into a non stick wok or frying pan. When moderately hot, add the green pepper, onions, tomato cut in four, tomato puree, methi, garlic/ginger paste, and ?special mix?. Stir fry for 5 minutes. 

2. Add the sugar. By this time everything should be diminishing in volume. Stir fry for another few seconds.

3. Add the raw chicken pieces and sprinkle over them about a teaspoon of Rajah All Purpose Seasoning. Continue stir frying for another few seconds.

4. Add about 2 cups of curry base and throw in a good quantity of fresh coriander ? say about 2 desert spoons. Fry for a futher 5 or 6 mins until the chicken is cooked, but not over-cooked or under-cooked.

(b) BALTI BOWL

5. Now put on a second gas ring, a balti bowl to heat up over a low flame for about 4-5 mins.  Watch your fingers!

6. Put in the balti bowl half a teaspoon of vegetable ghee or vegetable oil with 0.25 teaspoon of finely chopped garlic.

7. Without delay, add the entire contents from the wok. Don?t worry about the flames, as it's the heat and flames that will develop the flavour.

8. Add fresh green chillies. Terry adds about 5 chillies.

9. Remove the balti dish from the gas after about 4 mins and serve with rice.

Recipe: TERRY
Posted by: CK
This format: George

« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 11:30 AM by George »

Offline steve e

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 11:34 AM »
George,
Thanks for the format, takes time and hard work. And terry Thanks for the recipe.
steve e ;)

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 03:33 PM »
Hi all,

I have just made the chicken balti recipe that Terry has given us.  It is really good.  I did use quite a few more chillies though - can't do without them!  I also made a vindaloo and have had really good results with that too - the smell/aroma is quite special in my kitchen.  Thankyou Terry.

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 04:32 PM »
Well I guess I've got to give this a shot after all balti is one of my favorite dishes, cheers Terry and thank you George for the format.

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 11:11 AM »
CK when you mention the Methi addition, to you mean in dry leaf format.

Cheers

Chas

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2006, 02:11 PM »
Hi Chas,

Its not my recipe its Terry's (ifindforu) but I would assume it's the dry leaf stuff.

cK

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2006, 03:09 PM »
Cheers
Thats what I just used and what a result post it shortly

Offline Ian

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 03:32 PM »
Hi all, i have made quite a few curries using Kris Dhillon,and must admit i love the currys i have done.How does Darths compare is it LOADS better? I fancy having a go & just wanna make sure.Sorry if its a crap question

Ian

©2024 Curry Recipes