Author Topic: Dipuraja's Chicken Tikka Bhoona  (Read 25042 times)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dipuraja's Chicken Tikka Bhoona
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 08:47 PM »
Guys,

That looks the worst Bhuna I have ever seen in my life!!! Bhuna should be a Medium, Rich, Thick consistency!! this looks more like SOUP!!!! :(

I also agree with you 976, my understanding of a Bhuna is that it's one of the more drier curries on the menu.

Has anyone actually tried this recipe?

I haven't tried any of his recipes yet, and to be honest, I'm struggling to find the motivation to either.  I just don't trust his 'cold cook' method.

I also saw a review  whereby the poster say, "Avoid this place, food was terrible, and was over an hour late. AVOID, AVOID, AVOID!"  Now this was the only review, and I guess the customer was a little disgruntled that his grub was an hour late, but, there was no positive reviews either!

I'm not knocking the bloke, after all, he is giving up his time and secrets for all of us, and I'm grateful for that, even if I don't sound like it, I just wonder what his background is, how was he trained and by whom and where?

Incidentally, dial a curry does seem to be the only place of it's kind in the Penrith area, so no competition, no-one to keep him on his toes, so to speak!

Sorry for the negatives,

Ray :)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 10:12 PM »
I just don't trust his 'cold cook' method.

I thought he was just doing that because it was a short demo. I'm not so sure now. Does he really use that same method to cook the curries...I really hope not!

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 10:19 PM »
I have to disagree with Jerry, Mikka and axe as to the quality of this guys curries.

Please don't include me amongst his followers. I have already said I think he's very much New Wave, which I have explained to be a lazy approach to cooking BIR. All the dishes I have tried of his so far, have been poor. As much I have commented on and have not once rated any of his recipes to date. ::)

But I don't want to keep posting objectionable comments to his videos, like the mint sauce and onion chutney which I also think is poor. Horses for courses I guess.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 10:23 PM »
Hi SS

I just don't trust his 'cold cook' method.

I thought he was just doing that because it was a short demo. I'm not so sure now. Does he really use that same method to cook the curries...I really hope not!

I really think that this is his style of cooking.  He never tries to explain that this is not is usual method and that he is doing this because of youtubes 10 min limit.  Even so, 10 mins is plenty of time to cook a curry from start to finish, especially when you've got all your pre-cooked ingredients to hand.

It's very bizarre to say the least!

Ray :)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 10:38 PM »
Sorry axe must have got you confused with someone else...I was sidetracked by forum politics and took my eye of the ball!  :-\

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 10:42 PM »
SS, no need to apologise, its all good. :)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 10:43 PM »
It's very bizarre to say the least!

Indeed! And why is he doing these videos anyway?

I don't mean that in a negative why either, I genuinely would like to know what prompted him to do them.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 10:52 PM »
SS,

I've no idea?  He's making no money out of it, potentially damaging 'Dial a Curry's' reputation, and doing his own rep no good.

I'm beginning to wonder if he actually is the chef there or not.  Does he own the place?

Is it some elaborate advertising campaign whereby he thinks anyone visiting the north lakes or Cumbria, will seek the place out?

If he really wants to spread the 'gospel according to Dipurajah' why doesn't he just do a book?

I really can't fathom this out?

I feel pretty awful slating the poor guy like this, if he is doing it all for genuine reasons, but there is no logic to whatsoever!

Ray

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 11:04 PM »
He's obviously got a genuine reason but it's anyone's guess. Perhaps he's got alot of happy cutomers that have asked for this or maube he's a YouTube junky? he'll certainly be getting some hits on YouTube, so perhaps he's see's this as an opportunity of some kind.

But I do find it equally bizarre that he doesn't show the 'proper' cooking process. I think it was his naan recipe I watched and thought to myself, that's not cooked as he's folding it up in the bag. Why do that? Anyone that knows cooking will spot this and anyone that doesn't and attempts his recipes will be put off, surely?

It will be good when/if he replies to CA stating his methods, at least then we will all know.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 11:45 PM »
That looks the worst Bhuna I have ever seen in my life!!! Bhuna should be a Medium, Rich, Thick consistency!! this looks more like SOUP!!!! :(

At a glance I thought the same thing. However if you look right at the end, it's not so thin. It's thinner than I would have a Bhuna though.

What a wierd method with the onions. You'd think they would be still quite fibrous in the finished dish.

©2024 Curry Recipes