Author Topic: Blind taste test - Chewy's Madras versus local BIR Madras  (Read 9481 times)

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
To celebrate daughter No. 2's 30th, last night I decided to take a break from the kitchen and ordered in a takeaway from one of my favourite local BIRs.

They were busy so said it would take an hour to deliver, so daughter No. 1  said: "Why don't you knock up one of yours and see how it compares, dad?"

"What a splendid idea!" said I, silently cursing her for ruining my night off...  ;)

Out came all the gubbins, and not long after there was a Chewy Tikka chicken Madras steaming away in a recently buffed serving dish.

The takeaway arrived, and the blind tasting commenced (I was, understandably, excluded).

Now, had I not been there to witness the event I would have suspected a fix to massage dad's ego, but it was a proper blind taste test and all 5 participants voted for the CT Madras hands down.

"Much more flavoursome", was the general consensus. "Not as aniseedy", was another comment. And indeed, when I was finally allowed to have a go myself, the star anise used in the BIR Madras was clearly apparent.

That's not a criticism as I quite like a bit of star anise - just an observation.

Personally, I liked both dishes, but was really chuffed that my effort went down so well, and it's further testimony to the winning qualities of CT's recipe.

It's also testimony to the fact that many of us do ourselves down a bit too much (for far too many already discussed reasons to mention here). Whatever the reason, I can thoroughly recommend that the next time you order a takeaway you conduct a similar (dish for dish, like for like) taste test.

If nothing else it allows you to pick out different nuances in flavour between your local BIR's dishes and your own.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Blind taste test - Chewy's Madras versus local BIR Madras
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 04:03 PM »
Funny you should post that Salvador...

I had to have a meeting with my accountant last night, and decided we should go for an Indian...

We both had Madras, I had Chicken and he had Lamb....

After his first mouthfull, he said, "Bob, this is not as good as the one you make!!!"

I was chuffed to bits... and to be honest, the Chicken in mine was quite dry, something I would never overcook, and the restaurant only had about 4 people in it we arrived....

This just goes to show what this forum has helped people accomplish.... :)

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 04:40 PM »
I was planning to smuggle some curry back from the U.K. to compare against my own. I think some people are doing themselves a great injustice in their cooking skills (and maybe a bit of the old knight who doesn't want his quest to end..). I tried a Madras (Parisian style) and it was tasteless.

I'd love to be able to remember what it is I'm trying to recreate but I rarely get a chance to try a BIR, although this makes it easy for me as friends are easily impressed, most having never had a real one. :)

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 04:59 PM »
Thanks for sharing that SD.

I was never a HUGE fan of really hot curries, but Chewy's Madras is among my favourites that I cook up. It's always a challenge for me, but so addictive, i keep going back for more. ( I must be toughening up.HA!)

We had an Anzac DayBBQ at a friends place yesterday. he asked me to bring a couple of curries down for yet more people to try.....and guess what? Chewys Madras was the most popular. The intersting thing was that there were a few Aussies there too. This is the first time that an Australian (born and bred) has tried my curries, and they were seriously impressed.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. THANK YOU people for sharing this knowledge. :)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 09:08 PM »
Thanks guys, glad my recipe has helped you in your currying. :)

Funny how, out all the BIR dishes available today, the Madras remains
ever popular and a winner.

In fact when I think about it, probably my 'Old School' all time BIR meal combo,
would be Onion Bhaji, Chicken or Beef Madras, Peas and Onion Pilau, Tarka Dhal and a Naan
all washed down with a couple of pints of LaL Toofan or Kingfisher. Mmmm....Nostalgia, isn't it great.  :D

I think I'll order that tomorrow night and see if I can video the team knocking it up.
cheers Chewy

Offline skronk

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 08:55 PM »
My Chewys Madras is always a winner.

I cheat slightly and make a base sauce I got from my usual take away !

Use Chewys ingredients though. Always a winner when tweaked to personal taste....salt, sugar, amount of spice mix.

Recommended.

Offline DPN

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 03:57 PM »
Ive been lurking for a 3 months and have been cooking 1 maybe 2 curries a week, using the recipes here of course and i feel im definately getting good results  ;)

Ive think i can make a decent madras now, i use a little mr naga in the mix too, for an extra little chilli tickle :)
My parents love it and say its much better than the takeaways. I thought maybe they were being polite lol until i went out to a restaurant (not decent one to be fair) and thought mine was much tastier.

made a very nice lamb dhansak the other day too, with the pricey but tasty lamb shoulder shanks... the meat melts like butter, delicious!

thanks CRO

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 06:57 PM »
Welcome DPN.  Congratulations on your results.  I'm sure many of us experience the same feeling at times ;D.  On the bright side, things will get even better with practice over time.  Happy cooking and keep us posted on your results, some pics are always good too  ;)

Offline Dajoca

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Hi Skronk
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 02:16 PM »
Have you posted the base sauce recipe from your takeaway?
If not is there any chance of putting it online, so we can see how it works?

Thank you.

Offline Dajoca

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 07:37 PM »
Hi George. Sorry for that. I just assumed that it would be more easily spotted by Skronk, as it was directly aimed at him.

Other forums I'm on change the subject heading depending on the specifics of that post, so I again assumed that was the same format here.

Lesson learned.

©2024 Curry Recipes