Author Topic: CA's Chicken Bhoona  (Read 42928 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
CA's Chicken Bhoona
« on: August 03, 2010, 01:35 PM »
I was asked to post my Bhoona recipe, so here it is (ccoked and photographed today, in fact):

CA's Chicken Bhoona (dryish, medium hot, thick sauce, with onions, capsicum and tomatoes)

(serves 1-2)

Ingredients:

- 300g skinless chicken breast (chopped into approximately 1 inch cubes)
- 75 ml spiced oil (here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3295.msg34667#msg34667)
- 0.5 medium onion (coarsely chopped into approximately 0.5 inch squares)
- 0.25 (about 50g) green capsicum (coarsely chopped into approximately 0.5 inch squares)
- 0.25 (about 50g) red capsicum (coarsely chopped into approximately 0.5 inch squares)
- 0.5 tomato (quartered)
- 1 tsp fresh garlic (pureed)
- 0.5 tsp fresh ginger (pureed)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste (diluted to a puree with 3 tbsp water)
- 200ml curry base (here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3772.0)
- 1 tsp curry masala (here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3765.0)
- 1 tsp curry powder (any decent mild or medium one, or paste, will do)
- 0.5 tsp chili powder (or to taste)
- 0.25 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp sugar (or to taste)
- fresh chopped coriander (to taste)

Method:

- Heat curry base to a gentle simmer
- Heat oil in suitable pan (I use a cast iron wok) until almost smoking
- Add chicken and fry for a minute, on high heat, with continuous stirring, until sealed (i.e. just white on the outside)
- Add onions, green and red capsicums and tomatoes and stir fry (breaking up the onions), on high heat, for a couple of minutes or so (fry, don't broil)
- Add garlic and ginger and fry, for a minute or so, with continuous stirring (do not burn!)
- Remove from heat and add chili powder, curry masala and curry powder (or paste)
- Stir, to coat the chicken, and return to heat
- Immediately add tomato puree, stirring continuously
- Fry for 30 seconds or so, on high heat, with continuous stirring (do not burn!)
- Add half a ladle of curry base and stir
- Continue to add the curry base, a little at a time, stirring occasionally as the water evaporates and the sauce thickens
- Add salt and sugar to taste and stir
- Continue to simmer, on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the oil begins to separate (about 5 minutes)
- Add fresh coriander to taste
- Serve

Notes:

- You can use any other oil (e.g. vegetable oil, sunflower oil or canola oil) rather than spiced oil, if you prefer, but the result may be different
- You can use any other decent, mildly spiced, curry base, if you prefer, but the result may be different
- You can use any other decent spice mix or curry powder, or paste, in place of the masala, if you prefer, but the result may be different
- You can use any other precooked meat (or prawns) - just add it, after adding the first half a ladle of curry base, and make sure it is heated thoroughly

Below is a photo of the resultant Chicken Bhoona:

« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 01:46 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Bhoona
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 02:06 PM »
Hi CA
As expected a quality looking dish and thanks for the time and effort in posting a clear recipe.
Matt

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 03:31 PM »
Thank you Cory, I will be cooking this tonight and will let you know how it goes, I have also the chicken tikka to taste test today...

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 04:54 PM »
nice recipe CA

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 10:20 PM »
This is a recipe i have to try.
Thanks CA for the time and effort posting this recipe.

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 11:24 PM »
As expected from your goodself, a quality looking dish and thanks for the time and effort in sharing CA

regards

paul

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 05:20 AM »
Hi CA - thanks for posting the Bhuna recipe. Good stuff!

If I may, two questions:

- Why do you suggest adding sugar to your savoury (non-korma/CTM) curries?
- Why do you add curry powder instead of making it a higher proportion of your mix?

Thx.

-- Josh

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 12:30 PM »
Hi Josh,

Good questions!  8)

a)  I generally add a little sugar (sometimes a lot more than than the tsp I specified) because I like my curies a little sweet and I find it really brings out, rounds, and adds depth to the flavours.  However, the addition of sugar is generally optional in my recipes (I'm aware some may frown upon it), so people should add as little or as much as suits their taste.

b)  I don't add any curry powder to my masala/spice mix (unlike some BIR chefs, allegedly).  Hence I add it to my main dishes.  I do this (and I can only imagine BIR chefs do it) for the balance of minor spices present in commercial curry powders/pastes (besides convenience and cost).  Having said that, I'm sure it would be perfectly acceptable to use all masala/spice mix or all commercial curry powder/paste.  The taste will be somewhat different, that's all.  I do have a bit of a general problem with adding a commercial curry powder/paste in that I then no longer have control over what spices I'm adding.  However, the reality is that, unless you make a huge quantity of spice mix, it is hard to get the right amount of minor ingredients in it.  Besides that, BIRs allegedly use commercial curry powders/pastes too (either in their spice mix or otherwise).....
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 12:48 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 12:48 PM »
Well I made it and did intend to take photos but the family were hungry so i didnt have chance, I made a curry buffet last night cooking your Bhuna and korma and Stephen Lindsay`s pathia experiment, My family doesn't like things too hot and the only chilli powder I have is extra hot chilli powder so i only use a very little, however, the korma is normally the first to be finished off but the bhuna took first prize for that.. The family loved it.

Although the bhuna was mouthwatering it was missing the secret ingredient that I cannot figure out that my local TA includes but that cant be helped,  having said that it reminded me of my favourite dish on this site, your jalfrazi, Im hopeless when it comes to describing "body" and separating individual  tastes within a curry. Also I got the oil to seperate... not as much as I would have liked but its getting there, the only photo i took was this one...

Ignore the food thickener.. I have to had it in liquids due to my condition lol
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 02:18 PM by Fi5H »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 12:54 PM »
Ignore the food thickener.. I have to had it in liquids due to my condition lol

Glad to hear that your family liked it Fi5H.  Sorry to hear that you feel that it's missing a "secret ingredient". 

To be honest, it's really hard to ignore that food thickener cos it appears to be making your sauce "bubble"!  :o  It maybe (is quite likely to be) why you're having trouble getting the oil to separate from your curries (reference your PM to me)?  I think you mentioned this elsewhere (i.e. adding cornflour?)?

©2024 Curry Recipes