Author Topic: Chicken Madras Video Recipe - for lunch.  (Read 68523 times)

Offline Ian S.

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Madras Video Recipe - for lunch.
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2012, 01:46 AM »
I made this again tonight, using Chewy's base. This recipe really does tick all the boxes for me. Thanks, Chewy. I used chicken tikka, and standard chilli powder as I don't have any Kashmiri Mirch.

I backed off on the chilli a bit because of this, but man, was it still hot! I think Chewy's technique in the video not only gives a rich, caramelised onion taste but also seems to make the chilli heat more of an instant hit in the mouth, just like I get from good TA curries.

I do use the reduction technique but I've had cold feet in the past when it comes to worrying about burning and ruining spices. As a result my hot curries have tended to be 'slow burning', with the heat building up as you eat them. But this was an instant hit on the lips and the tongue from the first mouthful, and I think it's the first time I've had that without using fresh chillies in the dish.

Anyhoo, here are some poor-quality pics, suffering from the Jekyll and Hyde colour contrast between the pan and the plate. I guess it would be better if I took them by daylight, but I like to eat late. 8)

Everything lined up and ready to go, in order to diminish the panic when cooking commences:

Bubbling away in my beloved 20-year-old curry pan. Like a flat-bottomed wok, but made from ally and about 3mm thick. Holds the heat brilliantly and evenly. Was once non-stick, but most of that has come away as a result of using metal spoons (and probably ended up in my stomach). I'm sure my curries have improved since the pan's become more or less bare aluminium. I'll probably take some wet-and-dry to it to get rid of the rest of the Teflon.

Chewy's lunchtime madras becomes Ian's supper-time feast. Not as dark as it looks here. Chappati? Yes, I had a great time. ;D

(Edited long, rambling sentence in the middle of the post. It was late, and I was rather 'over refreshed' when I wrote it.  ;))
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 11:20 AM by Ian S. »

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2012, 07:12 AM »
But for a tablecloth and a napkin, i'd sworn i was in my local :o.  Nice looking supper you got there mate. Sure the pics do it justice. ;)

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2012, 08:58 AM »
That looks scrumptious. The Madras is a lovely colour and consistency. Chewy's base is lovely isn't it?

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2012, 09:47 AM »
Hi Ian

That Madras looks fantastic! great job and pictures. Wish I could have that right now  :P

Offline Ian S.

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2012, 11:11 AM »
Thanks, guys. Chewy's base is indeed great and I seem to have made gallons of it, so I'm sorted for weeks now. I'm going to have a crack at the jalfrezi next. :)

No tablecloth or napkin here, I'm afraid. No table, come to think of it! ;D

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2012, 12:54 PM »
Thanks Chewy,

The Madras was my best curry yet. I used your base which gives a good sweetness plus CA's mix powder + a little Balti garam masala. Lovely silky texture.

I found adding the puree to the oil first let me control the frying of the spices a bit more (and I'm cooking on Induction!)

Also coincide with the missus perfecting the timing of pilau rice and the best naans yet.

It was a good night.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2012, 01:32 PM »
Hi Ian
Great post, thanks for your good feedback. ;D
Your Base and Madras look spot on, your also spot on about singeing the chilli
creating the flavour and that's where the Kashmiri Chilli Powder comes into its own.
A really Intense chilli flavour
Certainly looks like a good supper and good result. ;)

I will be posting another old school recipe shortly,
Rezala used to be very popular back in the 80's
and is next on my list.

Hi Fried
Glad you've had a good result with my recipes. ;D

You could ask the missus, if she might share her recipes and methods
I'm sure everybody would be interested
cheers Chewy

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2012, 05:13 PM »
The missus just uses CA's pilau recipe, 3 mins on the heat/ 3 minutes covered off the heat, 45 mins in a low oven.
She says the secret is not heating the oil to  high when frying the spices (she's Turkish, so has a fair bit of spice coking experience, she always thinks I'm over heating stuff).

Also, she didn't understand one word of your video and didn't believe me that it was English ;D

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2012, 06:08 PM »
Also, she didn't understand one word of your video and didn't believe me that it was English ;D

Hahahaha, that actually made me laugh out loud.  Tell her not to worry Fried, I struggle to understand our Geordie cousins too,  ;D A good mate of mine comes from Sunderland and it's just impossible at times, especially when we go on holiday.  The locals are absolutely baffled by him.  He actually went working in Canada for a year but came back because nobody would talk to him, probably because they couldn't understand him ha

Ray :)

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2012, 09:43 AM »
Chewy, great video and the curry looks lush  :P You mention 'singeing' in your post but I don't see any 'singeing' in the video.It's only since the visit to Zaal by some of the guys that has brought about the importance of this 'singeing' and you did mention it some time ago but you don't seem to be cooking hot enough to create the 'singeing' what do you think Chewy ? I am only trying to establish when this 'singeing' takes place  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes