Author Topic: CA's Chicken Phal, Vindaloo, Madras and Curry (Illustrated!)  (Read 27906 times)

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Phal, Vindaloo, Madras and Curry (Illustrated!)
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2007, 08:52 AM »
Yes, the gas burner is really for outside use (i.e with barbecues) and is powered by bottled LPG (Liquid Petroleum Gas)
Regards,
Hi Cory,
             Amazing shots
Two questions:-
                         Does this burner get as hot as a restaurant gas cooker?

Do curries cooked on it, match your normal takeaway curries?
Thanks

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2007, 11:50 PM »
Does this burner get as hot as a restaurant gas cooker?

My domestic cooker (largest ring) is 12MJ/h; my barbecue wok burner is 18MJ/h; this burner is 30MJ/h; I've seen 4 ring burners at 50MJ/h (I figured this was overkill and went with a smaller burner instead)....

....but some Chinese restaurants are between 80 - 150MJ/h  :o   See here http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1664.0

I haven't found out what a typical Indian restaurant burner is.  I do ask, in the gas show rooms, but they don't seem to know....they think I'm kind of weird.....which is kind of weird  :P

Things spit and spatter all over the place, so it seems plenty hot enough.  My gas cooker (12MJ/h) is a bit weedy in this regard.  My barbecue burner (18MJ/h) is pretty good (and maybe ideal?).  This burner seems plenty capable enough to me (and even a bit scary at times!).  It is a regulated low pressure burner.  If I want it hotter, I'll just whip the regulator off (and probably burn the house down in the process!)  :P

Do curries cooked on it, match your normal takeaway curries?

Do you mean in terms of taste and/or smell Haldi? 

I think there is noticeably more (and somewhat nicer and different) smell produced when frying the spices at these higher temperatures but, to be honest, I'm struggling to get a really good taste and smell from this particular curry base  :-\

Nevertheless, I do think these higher heats contribute significantly to "the taste" and "the smell"

Don't get me wrong, the curry shown was a damn fine curry, but lacked some depth and strength of taste and smell that I know I can produce using my own curry base. 

Regards,
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 12:01 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2007, 10:34 AM »
Have you posted your curry base on here CA?

Offline debbie63

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2007, 02:49 PM »
Hi There,
This phal curry looks fantistic but im wondering if 6 tbsp of chilli  powder, of any strength
seems a bit excessive.
Has anyone tried this recipe with the full 6 tbsps of chilli,if so i would like to know if  you had to call the fire brigade due to the excessive heat from your breath. :P

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2007, 03:00 PM »
Hi Debbie63,

Welcome to cr0 and thanks for your comments Debbie.   :) 

Naturally you have to call the fire brigade, that's what a phal is all about! ;)  ;D

There is also an option to pep it up with some fresh chopped chillis of course :P

Regards,  8)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 03:01 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2007, 05:41 PM »
If I'm making a phall I will always use fresh chili in place of too much chili powder as it really comes back up on you, well me anyway  :)

I find a couple of scotch bonnet's chopped into a pulp and added at the begining along with a "healthy" dose of extra hot chili powder is just about right.

cK

Offline Blondie

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2007, 12:12 PM »
Hi Debbie63,

The 6 tsp of Chili isn't that much when you consider that the recipe is to serve 4.  As you can see that only means 1 1/2 tsp per portion.  that doesn't seem much to me as I put 1 tsp of chili powder and fresh chilli's in to my Vindaloo, which I don't think is as hot as my local's Vindaloo.

Cheers.

Blondie

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2007, 05:19 PM »
Thanks for your comments Blondie.....

....but just in case people get the wrong impression, that's actually 6 TABLESPOONS (tbsp), not 6 teaspoons (tsp), of chilli powder in the Phal!  ;D

Naturally, people should put as much, or as little, chilli powder in as they wish.  One person's phal is another person's madras after all!  :P

BUT!  Please bear in mind that a PHAL was DESIGNED to blow your socks off!  And you won't do that without copious amounts of chilli  (powder or otherwise) I'm afraid!  ;D

A PHAL is not for the feint hearted, for sure!   ;)

Has anyone tried it (or the others) yet by the way?

Regards,
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 05:26 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline stargazer

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2007, 01:07 AM »
Why don't u use Habanero peppers? They are very, very Hot and have a pleasant flavour that would be more pleasing,imo, than an overdose of Cayenne. I had some Mexican salsa with Habaneros in a San Diego restaurant and it was great. Also, they infuse a nice bright orange colour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habanero
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 01:10 AM by stargazer »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2007, 03:51 AM »
Hi Stargazer,

Sure, you can use any kind of fresh chillis instead of (or as well as) chilli powder.  I've mentioned this in the recipe.

Curry King says he uses Scotch Bonnets/Habernero chillis in his.  I also use them, from time to time, but I use them very judiciously.  This is because I find they impart a very distinctive flavour that I do not detect in BIR Phals (and nor do I particularly like the flavour). 

I'm also pretty sure that BIRs mostly use chilli powder to obtain the heat.

At the end of the day, each to their own I suppose  8)

Regards,

©2024 Curry Recipes