Author Topic: SnS's simple Madras style curry  (Read 19405 times)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: SnS's simple Madras style curry
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2008, 03:39 PM »
SnS, just wondering what led you to the inclusion of mango chutney?

-- Josh

Offline malacara

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2008, 03:41 PM »
Hi SnS!,

I didnt use any mango chutney, apart from that I followed the recipe to the letter (well, I used reclaimed oil too  ;D). I also used the Rajver base (instead Saffron base, which I use a lot) but I wouldnt attribute the success to the base as I have tried more Madras recipes with it and the results were not as good.
It was sweet enough, to me, the perfect sweetness for a madras  ;)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2008, 04:26 PM »
SnS, just wondering what led you to the inclusion of mango chutney?

-- Josh
Hi Josh

It's a common sweetener used in Yorkshire BIR's apparantly.

Domi suggested it a while ago. Having used it I do think it is better than brown sugar.

SnS  ;)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2008, 10:35 AM »
Malacara,

your post is very comforting - it reinforces the existence of a "threshold" for a base. i too make rajver and saffron frequently and on most recipes (CTM being the only exception when i think the rajver has the edge) and would say there is very little discernable difference in the result ie final curry taste (both being spot on, the ifindforu is also spot on but slightly different).

the perfect sweetness for a madras

would you say this is down to the overall balance of the recipe or does the longer medium heat cooking of the onion do it for u.

would also appreciate your thoughts on the methi both it's addition in general and it's addition in the spice mix.

the onion cooking, spice mix and methi being the key differences to the madras i make. i've tried adding the methi after the bulk of the base has gone in but did not find a significant difference. i would need to make the SNS spice mix to compare against my interpretation of LB's - it's similar with the SnS mix having no paprika and a relatively high proportion of methi (3 tbsp or 44%).

Offline malacara

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2008, 11:27 AM »
Hi JerryM,

First of all I do think now the recipe is spot on, very well balanced, I wasn?t sure at first but Bobby Bhunnas opinion led me to try. The cooking technique has also proved handy to me and with excellent results, the longer medium heat cooking of the onion added sweetness to the natural sweetness of the base (Rajver in this case, but I think it could be Saffron or any other good one) resulting in a very satisfying curry  ;D

I dont also find any significant difference in adding the methi with the spice mix or after the base is poured, I tend to mix methi with the spice mix but I havent been able to find a big difference in taste yet.

regards

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2008, 03:33 PM »
Malacara,

many thanks.

i have about enough of my latest saffron batch left to make a good portion and going to have to give it a go. I must admit Bobby?s pics started to sell it to me and SnS comment about cutting the onions finer had me hooked ? I got side tracked on Stews?s Jalfrezi which I really do rate.

I?ve made the SnS spice mix up (on a finger taste it?s quite hot). It?s quite different to my std LB mix so result will be interesting. I don?t find the methi overpowering given the proportion.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2008, 08:09 PM »
SnS - no lemon juice in this madras?

-- Josh

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2008, 08:16 PM »
SnS - no lemon juice in this madras?

-- Josh

No Josh.

I suggest you try it without first.

Regards
SnS ;)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2008, 08:22 PM »
This is going to be my dinner tonight. Will take pics and post back.

Josh

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2008, 08:31 PM »
Look forward to it Josh

We're having the same in about 30 minutes (Chicken - not prawn). I'm trying a slight variation of the Saffron base.

©2024 Curry Recipes