Author Topic: Frozen methi  (Read 11895 times)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Frozen methi
« on: April 21, 2009, 12:42 PM »
Just bought a bag of fresh frozen methi leaves at asda....Has anyone tried them yet?

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Frozen methi
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 07:39 AM »
We have this at my Asda, too
I've bought fresh and didn't really feel I cooked it justice
Considering they sell as much fresh fenugreek as fresh coriander, I reckon it's got to be considered something special.
I could only find tradional homestyle recipes using fresh fenugreek.
Please post what you do with it
Seeing as it's frozen, there's no rush

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 08:45 AM »
I'll be using it today, Haldi....I'll let you know how I get on ;)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 10:54 AM »
Hi again Haldi ;)

I've just made the curry (we're decorating here) so I thought I'd get it out of the way and reheat later..anyways....The methi definitely had a good effect! I used around a tablespoon's worth (it's a big frozen block..to be honest, it didn't smell like it was going to be up to much, but I was wrong!) You know that smell that you get on your fingers when you crush dried methi? well it's that, but in every mouthful!

Here's what I did...I didn't use any base (I know, I should be flogged for blasphemy lol...well...I hope I can be flogged anyroad! :D )

I made a dopiaza, well, MY take on a dopiaza anyways hehe

I cut 4 medium onions into rings and fried with 1 tsp cumin seeds until almost caremelised, at which point I took half out to add back later...the rest I left to cook until they were almost turning crispy (gives a much deeper, sweet/savoury taste IMO...to the almost crispy onions I added 3 chillis, finely chopped, 1 whole bulb of garlic, grated and a thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, also grated and cooked out on a high heat before adding the spice mix (1 tsp BE spice mix, 1 tsp coriander powder, 3/4 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp paprika, seeds of 3 green cardamom, pinch of curry leaves (dried and crushed between the fingers) 1 tsp chilli powder and 1 tsp madras powder and a 1/4 tsp asafoetida). To stop the spices sticking, I used the juice from a tin of chopped tomatoes (better than adding water IMO). Once the spices were cooked, I added my chicken tikka (blades recipe) and the tomatoes from the can and the frozen methi and cooked it out...added the rest of the onion set aside earlier and a good handful of fresh chopped coriander leaves and stalks....the result is bloody marvellous! I can't wait for teatime....Does it have the smell? YES! Does it have the taste? YES! Does it have the base?...well....no, it doesn't need it... :P

The only thing I'm missing is that lovely curry smell on my fingers from the dried methi...but I can live with that...the taste of the fresh frozen is delicious and I'd rather have the flavour than the aroma anyday! I'll not use dried methi in a curry again..the frozen stuff beats it hands down! The brand is Shana (green bag, in the frozen foods of the world section in ASDA btw....lol)

*EDIT* Here's a link to the product...http://www.shana.tv/ourproducts-frozen-vegetables.php

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 04:40 AM »
Does it have the smell? YES! Does it have the taste? YES! Does it have the base?...well....no, it doesn't need it... :P

Interesting that you managed to get "the taste" and "the smell" without using a base Domi.

Did you use reclaimed oil?

Do you think this is mainly due to the fresh frozen fenugreek?

I've never used fresh fenugreek because I've seldom seen it for sale.

Is it widely used in BIRs, does anybody know?

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 09:29 AM »
Hi CA :) lol I was just waiting for someone to pick up on the zero-base! To be honest, I wouldn't have posted it if I wasn't extremely confident in the results standing up to scrutiny.

Nope, I don't use reclaimed oil....I didn't use a base because it was a spur of the moment thing, but if you look at the ingredients, I use quite heavy spicing and lots of G&G, (basically moving the base ingredients into the curry itself, though without using lots of water...it takes a little longer to cook the curry but the flavour was definitely all there....the frozen methi makes a difference in the flavour (it didn't dissipate either though the curry was made in the am and eaten in the evening....). As to whether the results are mainly down to the fenugreek, I'd have to say not entirely, that's got to be a combination of all ingredients, but it does make a big difference to the smell and the taste...I know it's been posted before on this board about the smell of dried methi on your fingers being a large part of the smell for some people, and the frozen methi definitely imparts both aroma and taste through the curry (I've only used it this once, mind but if these results are anything to go by, I'm finished with the dried methi!!).

I'm hoping that others give it a go....it'll be interesting to see how it goes if added to a base...I read on another thread about Kris Dhillon's methi chicken, but I'd be careful adding methi too early or cooking it too quickly at too high a temperature as it can become bitter, which may explain why some folks have had bitter curries whilst swearing that they haven't burnt anything...

Give it a go CA ;) I'd love to have your opinion on it :D

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 07:27 PM »
I like the method of cooking the onions, sounds tasty! Do you usually cook them like this?
Looking at the method i would imagine this had a key role to play in 'the taste'.

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 08:01 PM »
Hi chinois ;) yep! I always cook them that way. It gives a nice rich taste throughout the dish and the onion/cumin seed combination really makes a difference too. I've just made a curry using the saffron base (I had some left in the freezer though I don't normally use it) into which I added the frozen methi whilst it heated before using it in the final curry....Same flavour through the dish from the methi and the lovely slightly sweet savoury flavour from the onion....bloody delicious!

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 08:44 PM »
I freeze my dry Methi after about a week of opening. I've not found that fresh makes that much difference, its a leaf and It hasn't had time to develop its strong aroma. Seeds are best if you are looking for a caramel like taste in your food which I crave frankly.

Has anyone planted a few seeds?

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 05:16 AM »
For me, methi is a weird ingredient.

Seeds are one thing.

Fresh leaves are another.

Dried leaves are another altogether.

Now, I'm strictly using dried leaves in the final curry.

-- Josh

©2024 Curry Recipes