Author Topic: Mick's/Taz's Dopiaza (Madras Hot)  (Read 35741 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Mick's/Taz's Dopiaza (Madras Hot)
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2010, 05:28 PM »
I've made a couple of curries with Taz's base and method too, and I have to say I noticed a definite lack of oomph that you get with the more standard frying spices method. For this reason it isn't a method I would personally continue with.

However I would definitely recommend this method to curry making novices as it is almost foolproof and avoids any possibility of burnt spices etc.

Offline Paul1980

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2010, 01:13 PM »
If anyone is using this base at the moment try finely grating some onion into the first lot of base in stage 1 along with the garlic.
This seems to add something for me compared to previous efforts

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2010, 07:35 PM »
Taz base is still working well for me. I might at some stage drop the amount of oil in a base preparation and cook a curry in the "traditional" way to see if it tastes any better.

Paul.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2010, 01:47 AM »
I still use this method and really enjoy the results, especially for Vindaloo and Madras.

Mainly I've been trying different variations of spice mix, and add a few extra goodies (coriander, carrot) when making the base.

I do need to try Dipuraja's CTM, that's next up for me.

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2010, 05:40 PM »
Well this has been on my "to do" list for quite a while.

I found this recipe very simple to do (I made it to spec) but I was not sure when to stop the reducing of the base.  I guess I got it right though ;D.  It turned out a really great  curry which suprised me in a way, as it was so easy to do ::)

Thanks Mick & Taz, I can't wait to try some others

Offline vindapoo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2013, 03:02 PM »
apoligies for bumping an old thread but I am going to make this and wanted to check a couple things.

Everything I have read/seen says curry cooking process is oil > garlic ginger > methi > mix powder > the rest

This recipe kind of does it in reverse order, does it give a boiled rather than fryed taste ?

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2013, 05:04 PM »
apoligies for bumping an old thread but I am going to make this and wanted to check a couple things.

Everything I have read/seen says curry cooking process is oil > garlic ginger > methi > mix powder > the rest

This recipe kind of does it in reverse order, does it give a boiled rather than fryed taste ?

I find that you don't get a 'boiled' taste with the Taz base because there's so much oil in the base itself that gets released as you reduce it that it fries everything nicely.

The key to this base is that crucial first reduction. You're looking to reduce the first ladle of base right down to almost a paste before adding any more. (It's tempting to stop before the reduction has got to the right stage. I know the first time I tried it I pulled back a little too early, but you soon get the hang of it.)

Do let us know how you get on with it.

©2024 Curry Recipes