Author Topic: Cracked it!  (Read 10987 times)

Offline vindalooelvis

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Cracked it!
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 10:08 AM »
So VE can provide some more information (quantities, addition times etc) so we can give your version of vindaloo a try

Im making another batch this week, I will document the process and ingredients exactly as I go along and post them on here if anyone wants to try it.
I think it would be very hard to go wrong with this recipe as its quite basic and gives excellent results, it really does have that underlying magical curry flavour that ive found so hard to get from other recipes, I think its the simplicity of both dishes working well with each other that makes it work, and not a load of spices fighting with each other
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 10:20 AM by vindalooelvis »

Offline vindalooelvis

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 10:17 AM »
will add some pics later

Offline vindalooelvis

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 11:07 AM »
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 11:19 AM by vindalooelvis »

Offline spook8519

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 12:07 PM »
I too think simplicity is the key.
After a recent meal at my local go to Indian( Raj of Kent, Biddenden Road) I was trying to gather the courage to ask someone for some base gravy, but I wimped out but not my girlfriend who went and asked on my behalf. To my surprise the owner came and sat down with me and went thru how I should make it at home, some onions, garlic and ginger, teaspoon of turmeric and some salt he said was all that was needed.
I told him I had looked through forums, youtube video's etc but he dismissed those as all wrong??
I have tried his way and its a neutral bland gravy but comes to life with the dish and spice added at the frying stage, I can make the same madras(my fav) but I cannot get the same as the Raj's, its close but still missing something. I've tried every type of onion, pressure cooked and fried.
I look forward to more posts from vindalooelvis and I always keep an open mind  :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 03:13 PM »
After a recent meal at my local go to Indian( Raj of Kent, Biddenden Road) I was trying to gather the courage to ask someone for some base gravy, but I wimped out but not my girlfriend who went and asked on my behalf. To my surprise the owner came and sat down with me and went thru how I should make it at home, some onions, garlic and ginger, teaspoon of turmeric and some salt he said was all that was needed.
Ah, the Raj of Kent; you must live not far from me, Spook (Chainhurst, TN12 9SZ).
** Phil.

Offline spook8519

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2017, 03:29 PM »
Hi Phil,

Rolvenden TN17 4LZ, so not far :D

I've just made this stage one only as per recommendations :) http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5671.0

Some tiger prawns are defrosting for tomorrows efforts

I'm bad for not posting much, lurking in the bushes is more my style  ;D ;D ;D

Offline vindalooelvis

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2017, 11:51 PM »
Let us know how you get on with this new simpler method spook, I hope you get a good result like I did  ;)

Offline spook8519

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 12:54 PM »
tiger prawn madras:

Offline spook8519

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2017, 12:55 PM »
continues on  8)

Offline spook8519

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2017, 12:58 PM »
Recipe is as per norm Madras apart from only using teaspoon cumin and teaspoon coriander as the spices with the usual amount of mirch ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes