Author Topic: Why the curry house is declining  (Read 14121 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Why the curry house is declining
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 09:05 AM »
Got to laugh, George. No wonder you are an 'ex' moderator of a BIR curry-based forum when you hold such views

All you can do is laugh, ridicule and scoff? I know there were strong views on Brexit. I backed the winning side and applaud Theresa May's speech yesterday,

You appear to support the side who turned out to be sore losers.

What exactly about my post, or SS's do yo disagree with and why? SS talks a lot of sense, too.

I suggested there's been a population shift which means the UK will probably, eventually vote to become an Islamic State - not in our lifetimes, or maybe for hundreds of years but I see it as a threat.. Why do you think there's zero chance of that ever happening?

I also suggested the UK is becoming far too overcrowded - like hell on earth - not unlike the country most of these people couldn't wait to leave. What do you disagree with there? Do you think there's no chance of becoming too overcrowded and that, for example, the NHS can cope with unlimited numbers of people? Do you think Bangladesh is a lovely place, a bit like Switzerland with a high standard of living and nobody in their right mind would want to emigrate?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 10:31 AM »
Your questions are implicitly addressed to Garp, George, but if I may, I would like to offer my perspective.

The fact that you and I were lucky enough to have born in the UK gives us no greater right to the world's resources than someone born in Syria or Bangladesh or Somalia.  The world's resources have to be shared by all, not apportioned purely by accident of birth.

** Phil.

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 05:25 PM »
George I doubt that leaving the EU and coming out of free movement of people from within Europe will have much impact on people from India Pakistan or Bangladesh etc since the last time I looked they weren't in Europe?

Ed

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 06:16 PM »
The fact that you and I were lucky enough to have born in the UK gives us no greater right to the world's resources than someone born in Syria or Bangladesh or Somalia.  The world's resources have to be shared by all, not apportioned purely by accident of birth.

You raise a very good point and I'm also grateful to Edwin for his input.

I  hope to respond in a couple of weeks time, after I get back from a ski-ing trip..

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 06:24 PM »
Are you skiing in Europe George?
Ed

Online tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2017, 06:02 AM »
Moving away from the xenophobia, the high street curry house has changed and not for the better IMHO.
Every restaurant and takeaway near to me now present bright orange chicken which has a peculiar aftertaste to it that both me and Mrs. T tend to dislike.
Everything really does taste the same despite each restaurant trying to outdo each other with a growing list of ever more exotically sounding dishes in their repertoire. Maybe If I could find a restaurant that had a 70's or 80's menu, dishes listed in degrees of heat and with a few well prepared dishes rather than an extended list of poorly prepared and equally poorly presented slop, I would start to eat out more. We might even get a bit more of the main ingredient such as chicken or lamb rather than the usual two or three lumps looking lost in a bucket of sauce.

Yes I know...Moany old git.

T63

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2017, 09:07 AM »
Moving away from the xenophobia, the high street curry house has changed and not for the better IMHO.
Every restaurant and takeaway near to me now present bright orange chicken which has a peculiar aftertaste to it that both me and Mrs. T tend to dislike.
Everything really does taste the same despite each restaurant trying to outdo each other with a growing list of ever more exotically sounding dishes in their repertoire. Maybe If I could find a restaurant that had a 70's or 80's menu, dishes listed in degrees of heat and with a few well prepared dishes rather than an extended list of poorly prepared and equally poorly presented slop, I would start to eat out more. We might even get a bit more of the main ingredient such as chicken or lamb rather than the usual two or three lumps looking lost in a bucket of sauce.

Yes I know...Moany old git.

T63

You may well be a moany old git, But I agree with you 100%, standards have gone down hill big time, There is no pride or heart in there cooking now, Just knock out some rubbish, call it curry, and sell it to the brits, Just my 2 pennies worth.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2017, 10:37 AM »
You may well be a moany old git, But I agree with you 100%, standards have gone down hill big time, There is no pride or heart in there cooking now, Just knock out some rubbish, call it curry, and sell it to the brits, Just my 2 pennies worth.

Since Les has already seconded your motion, it remains only for me to third it.  "Moi aussi" :(  The "bright orange chicken", is, I suspect, chicken tikka, which has all but replaced the more traditional (in the BIR sense) part-pre-cooked chicken in many curry houses today, more's the pity.

** Phil.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 12:04 PM »
I totally agree that UK curry house standards have gone down in the main since the 70s / 80s. 
I was spoiled in that in 1976 I 'emigrated' to the Middle East - Bahrain & Dubai - & travelled all over Middle East, Africa & Far East in my construction related work and was exposed to some of the most fantastic local foods imaginable.  Hence my preference for more 'authentic' dishes than the BIR versions so increasingly devalued today.  To me, it would appear that as the older Bangladeshi, Indian, Nepalese chefs have retired or literally died, the people who have taken over their shoes are often ex waiters who have inherited the curry house or borrowed a few bob and opened a takeaway without the real old school chef knowledge or ability.
In that case, they should be allowed to import 'quality' chefs to improve the situation - we don't need more waiters!
I had it on good authority from an excellent local Bangladeshi chef that a lot of his 1st and 2nd generation uk born Bangladeshi origin colleagues were not too interested in real work, since they could make bundles of money more easily dealing in drugs such as marijuana.

Now re Georges point on 'immigrants' / Islam per se.  As someone who has lived and worked amongst such people for 8 years in my ME days - '76 to '84, they were indeed in those days far happier times there than today - but still not without problems for Westerners, I feel more qualified than most to have an opinion on Georges subject  :-

1. I recently raised on this site the subject of Brick Lane curry houses and extreme anti western views and extreme unwarranted violence videoed against innocent Brit passers-by from curry house staff.  There is strong evidence of radical Bangladeshis present in London.  This cannot be denied or dismissed.  This problem is growing and is more widespread than just London.  One thing is for certain, the media are NOT reporting it - probably under instruction from gov - Just as in the EU, the riots in France, Sweden etc are NOT being covered in the mainstream media.  Probably because of fear of a backlash, or more likely they don't want you to know about the problems the mass immigration of millions of Muslim young men into the EU has caused.  An idiotic move in my mind.  Knowing what I know about their culture and views on the West and attitudes particularly towards women, gays etc.  A recipe for disaster if ever there was one, and the poor innocent citizens of the EU are reaping the effects of Mad Cow Merkels madness.

2. Islam is resurgent and has one aim - to dominate the world.  It hates the decadent Western way of life and it's avowed aim is to destroy it by takeover.  This they will achieve by population growth and are well on their way to achieve this.  Merkel has accelerated their plans by 10s of years with her immigration policy - something she now seems to be regretting.  Too late - the damage is done there, unless the EU has the stomach for drastic repatriation measures.
There are many articles written on Islam and its methods of takeover and historical evidence of them achieving it and also on how they go about it - the steps they achieve and the escalation of demands as they progress their population numbers.  The stages are easy to recognise too - early days in the UK - but the signs are unmistakenly there.  Don't take my word for it - Google it, Watch the many videos on it, Read the articles / books on it - many by alarmed Muslims themselves warning the West about what is coming to them.  The book INFIDEL is a good read by a very courageous Muslim lady - Ayaan Hirsi Ali

A Lebanese Christian ladies view - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abyBT0-_nyA

Winston Churchill had it about right - 100 years ago !!  http://blog.godreports.com/2015/01/winston-churchill-warned-about-dangers-of-radical-islam-over-100-years-ago/

I personally knew Lebanese Christians who were ideally placed to give real views on their arab Muslim neighbours.  Western minded arabs of the Christian faith who spoke the local arabic dialogue - so were completely in tune with the Muslim mindset.  Their opinion was simple - a backward ( retarded even) medieval religious mindset completely opposed to the decadence of the Western world and opposed totally and intolerant to any other religious beliefs.

3.  Hold altruistic Western views on these 'poor' Muslim immigrants - and they will exploit this to the fullest extent - shafting you and pulling your trousers back up without you feeling a thing.  By the time you realise what has been done to you and the country, you will be bowing to the East with your @rse in the air thinking ' How the fcuk did that come about?'

4. Note my avator - bullsh1t is not something I do !

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2017, 12:14 PM »
By all means, bring immigrants in to the UK - in reasonable numbers on an as required 'profession' basis.

The EU problem re immigrants is one of unfettered movement of people across EU borders.  We cannot possibly accept that here with literally millions of mainly Muslim migrants being allowed into the EU - with no doubt the ability to secure paperwork (legit or otherwise) to show they have an EU legal right to travel.  We have enough home grown Islam faith problem people without swelling the numbers outside our control.  We are a target for the Muslim takeover - make no mistake about it.
We don't have the facilities here in UK to accept mass immigration - housing for one - our war vets are living on the streets which is disgusting when immigrants are seemingly given priority, hospitals can't cope as it is, schools are overcrowded, doctors waiting lists are sky high.
Time we sorted the country out and looked after our own first.

©2024 Curry Recipes