Author Topic: Roast Pheasant  (Read 1436 times)

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Roast Pheasant
« on: January 21, 2017, 06:52 AM »
With the season drawing to its end I thought I would share a recipe that I saw in The Field magazine. I made this a few times normally with a brace of hen birds and very nice it is. I use a medium sized oval Le Creuset cast iron casserole.

Plenty of birds still in the shops (and fields) if you want to try this.

To roast any gamebird, put half an inch of wine in the pan to help keep the bird moist and tender. This particular recipe is a take on that tip, which started out as a

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Roast Pheasant
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 10:42 AM »
Very nice, T63.  A more complex but otherwise similar method to the one I use, also in a cast-iron casserole (but Lidl or Aldi, not Le Creuset -- one of the best investments I have ever made, circa

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 08:55 PM »
Phil, I would appreciate your recipe for Pheasant. It is the last shoot of the season this coming Saturday so I hope to be bringing a brace home. Another good recipe for Pheasant never goes amiss.
T63

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 09:05 AM »
Nothing new, I am afraid T63; this is more-or-less the recipe I posted previously :

1) Wrap the entire bird in streaky bacon, then wrap in foil;
2) Cook in a covered roasting tin (cast-iron casserole with lid) at about 170/180 (fan-assisted) for 25 minutes breast-up;
3) Cook for a further 20 minutes breast-down;
4) Remove foil and cook for a further ten minutes breast-up;
5) Remove bacon, baste well (I am assuming that you are roasting potatoes in the same tin with excess dripping), and cook for a further five minutes breast-up with no cover on roasting tin.

Khanh & I then eat one half of the pheasant with roast Rooster potatoes and bread sauce (she prefers the leg, I the breast), and the other half we cook a day or two later in a red wine sauce with field mushrooms, shallots, stein pilzen, and one pack of J

©2024 Curry Recipes