Author Topic: Mince & Dumplings  (Read 1330 times)

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Mince & Dumplings
« on: January 21, 2017, 07:18 AM »
My 84 year old Muvver came to stay over Xmas after having a knee replacement in late December. We have a bedroom and loo on the ground floor so she didn't have to worry about the stairs during the recovery period; knees can be very painful. Muvver doesn't do "foreign food". Muvver doesn't do garlic. Muvver does do English food so for the fortnight she was here it was, foodwise, like being transported back to Bermondsey in the 60's and 70's. This hairy bikers adapted version of mince and dumplings stirred old memories, sadly though I couldn't recall Muvvers original recipe that used large tins of Heinz vegetable soup and oxo cubes.

My wife made the Dumplings using her own recipe but I have given the hairy geezers version as Dumplings seem to be a lost art these days.

For the mince
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 celery sticks, peeled, finely sliced
2 medium carrots, diced
500g/1lb 2oz lean beef mince
1 x 400g/14oz can chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato pur

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Mince & Dumplings
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 10:46 AM »
Dumplings are capable of reacting (positively or otherwise) to the touch (or the temperament, or perhaps even the temperature) of the person making them.  My wife and I can make dumplings using the same mix; mine swell up and float on the surface, hers sink like a stone, never to be seen again.

2 parts by volume S.R. flour; 1 part by volume shredded suet; chopped parsley and sea-salt to taste.  Mix with just sufficient water using a /knife/ (important), handle gently, drop into boiling stock, wait until they float to the surface, allow to expand fully then serve.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 12:00 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Mince & Dumplings
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 04:59 PM »
Mrs. T63 makes excellent dumplings, light and airy.
Mine end up all over my fingers, down my shirt and up my sleeves.
I will never make a dumpling again.
T63

©2024 Curry Recipes