Author Topic: Braised pigs' hearts -- the food of the gods  (Read 1627 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Braised pigs' hearts -- the food of the gods
« on: March 18, 2017, 09:46 PM »
I no longer remember what it was that inspired me to cook a couple of braised sheep's hearts last week, but I suspect that it may well have been reading Mme. Saint-Ange's detailed explanation of how to braise.  To my disappointment, the sheep's hearts (probably lamb's hearts, from their size) were too small to stuff, so this week I bought a couple of decent-sized pigs' hearts, cut the internal walls to create a single cavity, and stuffed them with Paxo sage-and-onion stuffing, deliberately made on the dry side (off-topic :  am I the only one to think that freshly-made raw stuffing is infinitely more tasty than the same thing once it has been cooked ?).  I then prepared a bed of finely cut red onions and streaky bacon with beef dripping (cooked until the onions were really soft), added 3/4 pint of Knorr Corbell J
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 09:50 AM by Pedantic Phil »

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Braised pigs' hearts -- the food of the gods
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 09:16 AM »
(off-topic :  am I the only one to think that freshly-made raw stuffing is infinitely more tasty than the same thing once it has been cooked ?).
** Phil.
100% agree with you there Phil, I always make my own stuffing,(for everything that needs stuffing, Lamb, Pork, Chicken, etc.)  Much better than the bought stuff. And now you have me thinking about pig's heart, which I haven't had for about 20 or 30 years ;D

Offline foureyes1941

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 03:34 AM »
Here in Goa there is a traditional dish called SORPATEL which includes pigs heart, liver and pork meat ( belly)  It's a rich spicy hot dish that I think a lot of you would enjoy. Look it up on Youtube

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 08:32 AM »
Sounds very nice; I may well give it a go.  Many thanks for the pointer.
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes