Author Topic: An alternative to outdoor burners  (Read 2168 times)

Offline pap rika

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
An alternative to outdoor burners
« on: August 14, 2017, 11:07 PM »
Hi Folks, This is my first significant post, please be gentle.

Their has been a lot of talk recently involving the use of outdoor burners and the high heat they generate, unfortunately like most members, circumstances dictate this may not be an option, and like myself, can only look on with envy and think (one day, maybe one day).

Having said that, I would like to share a method I have been using for some time resulting in excellent Wok Hei and caramelisation results, using your plain old gas hob, no gadgets or gizmo

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: An alternative to outdoor burners
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 01:01 AM »
Hmmm.  I guess for me, a picture is not worth a thousand words.  Is there any chance I could persuade you to describe in words what is portrayed in the pictures ?
** Phil.

Offline pap rika

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 03:52 AM »
Hi Phil. Sorry if I did not make myself clear. Look closely and you will see the photos are before and after shots of two different sized gas rings where the top caps have been removed.
   In doing so it has the effect of creating what I can only describe as an increased intensity in the flame output. As a reference the tiles in the background are 4 inches square. From that you can accertain the height of the flame is now between 12-16 inches in height in comparison to photos of the same ring before it's cap removal. Admittedly the other larger ring in the same before and after shots does not achieve the same height, however it does not lessen it's intensity. If anything it increases due to its larger surface area.
 As suggested please give it a try if you have access to a gas hob. Hands on will clear any confusion

Regards Pap rika

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 08:19 AM »
OK, many thanks, now fully understood.
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes