Author Topic: Dipuraja's Chicken Tikka Vindaloo  (Read 19834 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dipuraja's Chicken Tikka Vindaloo
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2010, 06:46 PM »
it's real good that CA is being able to build a relationship with Dipuraja - bodes real well.

i can understand where Secret Santa is coming from too - i feel i'm sort of forced into making Dipuraja's base when i know from trial and error the site has better. the trouble is i've hit a brick wall (in terms of are we there yet) and for the 1st time i can't see how to get over it. Dipuraja is providing for me that extra inspiration to retrace my tracks and make sure i've not overlooked anything. i need to cook as he suggests before deciding further. the main difference to me is the use of paste which is covered in another post.

ps on the flaming - from my experience it don't add flavour (other than possibly the onion re the Balti video) . the characteristics that accompany flaming do. also it's the water that causes the flame not the oil. when Dipuraja warns of getting the oil too hot - for me this is because it's only too easy to overcook the garlic/ginger paste at this temp - i actually add when the oil is warming up to guard against it.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2010, 06:53 PM »
Hi Jerry,

Your oil & water comment make complete sense to me, as I don't believe the flavour comes from flaming the pan, after all, we are not trying to burn off any alcohol are we?.

I would have a go at Dip's base though if I was you, as I am aware that you like to reclaim some oil from the base, and if you cook it longer after the blended stage, you certainly can get some oil back.

I'm currently, knocking up his base, and gonna have a crack at his Madras tonight, will be posting my findings later.

Ray :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2010, 07:10 PM »
Razor,

going to try Dip's (to spec) and saffron (+ my tweaks) in parallel - all good learning. along the lines of what u say onions don't cook for me in 35 mins - it takes 3 hrs.

ps i've not had rec oil for a while now and getting pretty fed up without (made Razor base then ashoka). i reclaim it before blending ie after 2hrs. whilst i agree it don't make the difference we are all looking for it's a part of the jigsaw and i can tell when i'm using plain oil. the oil does need to be good and for this needs whole spice in it. u i think must already know this.

Offline michaelpratt

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2010, 05:29 AM »
He says "aloo" means potato. It may in Hindi but the Vindaloo is a pork dish from Goa and therefore is named in Portugese. Wine and garlic is the translation I heard. The potato is a nice touch but nothing to do with the original dish. Would still eat it though. :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2010, 08:41 AM »
michaelpratt,

i know i'm probably being a heathen but the potato does nothing for me. i wish they'd leave it out completely.

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2010, 10:23 AM »
Hi all,

Apparently the potato thing originated in the early BIR days when the chef would put half a boiled potato in the very hot (vindaloo) curry so the waiter would know which was which, sod all to do with the recipe, I for one can live happily without it.

Vindaloo is indeed originally a Portugese dish and does mean wine (vin/vino) and garlic (galou) and was a means of preserving/pickling meat before the days before refrigeration. Proper pork vindaloo or Goan pork is fantastic, loads of recipes on the net, give it a try sometime, amazing dish.

Cheers
CoR

p.s. not at all sure of my Portugese spelling!

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2010, 12:32 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vindaloo

Its funny you know, just how much foods of the world are influenced by others.

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2010, 02:53 PM »
I've just made this curry using CA's base as I'm waiting on Dip's base to cook (I prefer to wait a day or two before using a base as I think it tastes better when it's left a bit) but I followed Dip's "technique" everything cold except a really hot pan, in with the g&g which flew around the pan like it's arse was on fire, though it didn't burn/flame...I'm really pissed off now...it's exactly the same as most vindaloos I've had from your normal run of the mill takeaways (though the sauce somehow disappears ???) I chickened out on the two tablespoons of chilli powder and used one rounded tablespoon instead and I upped the coriander at the end. It's not your old style vindaloo but it is as good as the best standard "jack of all trades" TA.

The reason I'm pissed off is because I really didn't want to like the curry and now I'm really looking forward to giving it a proper go.

I'll be making it again on Monday using Dip's base ;D

« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 03:20 PM by Domi »

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2010, 08:54 PM »
Hi Jerry,

You've got me a bit confused here:

Razor,

going to try Dip's (to spec) and saffron (+ my tweaks) in parallel - all good learning. along the lines of what u say onions don't cook for me in 35 mins - it takes 3 hrs.

ps i've not had rec oil for a while now and getting pretty fed up without (made Razor base then ashoka)

Do you really mean the kushi base when you refer to mine?  Indecently, my base http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4596.0 does give up a lot of oil when cooking the final dish.

Ray :)

Offline Gaz

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2010, 06:13 PM »

Hi Dudes

I have given this a go a few times now and got it right at the third time of asking. I left the spud out, as do many of you (Personal preference) but the main problem I had was burning the ingredients before the base went in so I started at a much lower heat and it worked fine. I am cooking with a Tefal non stick wok, the type with a red spot in the middle. I think it heats up too quickly, anyone else use this or am I a blasphemer lol lol.

Anyhoo, this was the finished product and it was storming!!!

This will definitely be a regular occurrence in my house.....

Gaz

©2024 Curry Recipes