Author Topic: Chicken Bhuna  (Read 5279 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Chicken Bhuna
« on: March 16, 2008, 09:14 AM »
Hi all, here's a recipe for Chicken Bhuna. I tried this last night and the results were very good. Let me know how you get on  :)

CHICKEN BHUNA

Ingredients

4 Chicken Breasts  cut into bite size cubes
2 Medium Onions  finely chopped
2 Tbsp Ginger & Garlic Paste
4 Cloves of Garlic - Crushed
2 Tsp Salt
2 Tsp Coriander Powder
1 Tsp Hot Chilli Powder
1 Tsp Turmeric
1 Chicken Stock Cube
2 Medium Vine Tomatoes  Chopped
Third of a Green Pepper sliced into 2cm x 1cm pieces
1 Tbsp Garam Masala
3 Fresh Green Chillis whole (Birdseye)
Bunch Chopped Fresh Coriander
0.5 Cups of Water
3 Tbsp of Groundnut Oil

Method

Heat a wok, when hot add the oil, reduce the heat to medium then add the onions and sweat the onions until soft and transparent, about 5-7 minutes. Do not burn the onions or this will impart a bitter flavour. Add the salt, chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric, coat the onions well with these spices and let cook for approx 2 minutes.

Add the Ginger & Garlic Paste and the cloves of crushed garlic. Let cook for a further 3 minutes, again do not let the garlic burn.

Add the chopped tomatoes and green pepper, let cook on a medium heat for about 5 minutes until they have softened.

Turn up the heat to high and add the chicken, stir constantly until the chicken has sealed. If the Chicken starts to stick to the pan add a little more oil. Cook for about 5 minutes.

Reduce the heat to medium and add the water, crumble in the stock cube and add the whole chillis. Cook for a further 5 minutes. The sauce should be a rich thick consistency, if not remove the chicken and set aside and continue to cook the sauce until it reduces, then add back the chicken.

Add the Garam Masala and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.

Turn off the heat, add the freshly chopped coriander, leave for 1 minute, and serve.

Offline vindamoo12

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Bhuna
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 01:39 PM »
howdey
i tried it last night.
after tasting the end product, i added 1 teaspoons of sugar and 2 teaspoons of tomato puree as i found it a bit lacking in 'sweet tomatoe-y' type taste ;D
but thats just my taste really.
apart from that everything was well balanced (to my newbee tongue anyway)
nice one

ill be experimenting with this one in the future as i find that i dont really have time or the fridge space to bother with seperate base sauses.

thanks

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Bhuna
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 05:00 PM »
That sounds like a LOT of garam masala!!

©2024 Curry Recipes