Author Topic: CA's Chicken Bhoona  (Read 42913 times)

Offline Paul1980

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Bhoona
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2010, 02:18 PM »
Completley different in taste texture and some ingredients! Where I come from anyway

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2010, 02:24 PM »
Unfortunately that's not helping me much Paul  :-\

I've described it as a dryish, medium hot, thick sauce, with onions, capsicum and tomatoes.

How does it differ where you come from?  Which ingredients differ (apart from chillies)?  How does the texture differ (apart from it being drier/thicker, which this is)?

Offline Paul1980

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2010, 02:57 PM »
This is what my usual Bhuna looks like matey

http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Chicken-Bhuna-Recipe.html

Offline Paul1980

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2010, 03:06 PM »
Oh yeah mate red capsicum in a curry is a big no no these days ends up looking like a traditional curry.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2010, 03:28 PM »
Oh, I see, a runny sauce, swimming in olive oil, made from Mr Huda's curry paste, with no onion or capsicum (green OR red) in sight

Just decorated with a huge chunk of tomato, a huge chunk of lemon and a coriander stalk.

So sorry to disappoint you.  You obviously need to look elsewhere for your bhoona inspiration then.....my recipe is clearly not for you....unless you leave out the onion and capsicum, perhaps?

And why do you say red pepper makes it end up looking like a traditional curry?  :-\

I'm sure you'll know that, traditionally, bhoona is a cooking process (i.e. frying powdered spices in oil) rather than a curry.

Perhaps you'd therefore like to post your recipe for your interpretation of a BIR bhoona (besides Mr Huda's) Paul?  You're beginning to sound very much like someone else I know...."matey"  ;)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 03:41 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2010, 05:01 PM »
Do you really think that a typical BIR bhoona and typical BIR jalfrezi are otherwise fundamentally different?

These days often not, but it says a lot about your BIR experience (lack of that is) that you have to ask the question. A standard madras with extra peppers and onions is NOT a bhuna.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2010, 05:07 PM »
.my recipe is clearly not for you....unless you leave out the onion and capsicum, perhaps?

Even then it wouldn't suit him as this recipe is essentially a madras with peppers and onions. Great if you are trying to reproduce low end takeaway but otherwise rather bland (for a bhuna).

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2010, 05:07 PM »
As is so often the case, SS, you have missed my (the) point.

If you (or Paul) thinks my interpretation is "wrong", then I'm asking YOU (and HIM) what YOUR (and HIS) interpretation is?  And I'm inviting YOU (or HIM) to post YOUR (or his) bhoona recipe that accurately defines a bhoona from YOUR (or HIS) infinite and unsurpassable experience.

It's all a little bit too cosy to sit in your armchair and criticise SS; I'm surprised that's not actually dawned on you yet!  :-\

And who even mentioned "a standard madras" ffs?  :-\
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 05:23 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2010, 05:09 PM »
Oh, I see, a runny sauce, swimming in olive oil, made from Mr Huda's curry paste

A typically pointless response. He said "what it looks like", not what it's made from!

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2010, 05:12 PM »
Sadly, it is your responses that are pointless SS.  They add nothing to anyone's knowledge, enjoyment or understanding.  They are just negative and spiteful and indicate the sort of sad, lonely, jealous, envious and insecure person you are  :-\

©2024 Curry Recipes