Author Topic: mix powder from Zaal,Fleet  (Read 23435 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: mix powder from Zaal,Fleet
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 10:27 AM »
curryhell,

have tried garlic powder myself (salt is another) and the "thirst" is quite different to that caused by msg.

when i tried msg - i did not like. at the back of my mind was that i used too much by adding direct to a single portion - hence the thought that adding into the mix might give better result and may be done on the high street. i must add that i find the best restaurants don't use msg or if they do then it must be very little as there is no extreme thirst. i have no intention of using. i am purely searching for differences between Zaal and what i do already.

i now realise the comment that i'd pickup on was in fact garam - which i already include albeit not the chef masala variety. the lower proportion in this mix (1 or 0.5 : 22 curry powder) is something that gels well with me.

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 11:40 AM »
right you orrible lot as someone once said

Ive made this spice mix up twice now and its a very very good mix indeed - so much so - if you get any on your hands invariably i do it still has a great curry aroma

GOOD MIX - well done AZ and the boys for posting

best, Rich

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 01:26 PM »
Hi Jeera, great tool my friend, just one thing though, the formula for the Garam Masala is not scaling properly. 

I don't know jack s**t about computers so don't think I'm trying to be a smart arse, I just noticed that if I entered 10 in the yellow box, the sum for the GM stayed at 0.1, as it does for 4.4.  But it goes to 0.0 if I enter 20 in the yellow box?

Ray :)

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 12:05 PM »
Hi Jeera
Your link to the spreadsheet isn't working, Could you post it again please, or if someone has the scaled down recipe, any chance of posting it please

Les

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 10:05 AM »
Hi Jeera
Your link to the spreadsheet isn't working, Could you post it again please, or if someone has the scaled down recipe, any chance of posting it please

Les

OK, so everyone has left the building  :o

Les

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 11:34 AM »
If anyone can remember the functionality of the spreadsheet, I would be willing to attempt to re-create it.
** Phil.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 04:23 PM »
Would I be wrong in thinking that it is the ratios that are important rather than the means of measurement?

It seems reasonable to assume that one could replace the term "heaped chefs spoon" with tablespoon, dessertspoon, teaspoon, ounce, gram or whatever.

22 x curry powder
16 x coriander
15 x turmeric
12 x cumin
2 x chilli
0.5 x garam masala

It seems straightforward enough, so perhaps I am missing something.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 04:31 PM »
It is about ratio but the smaller the spoon you use, the greater the chance or error, if you see what I mean. These values are for volume measures though, so you'll need to convert them to weight values before applying the ratio.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 04:38 PM »
It is about ratio but the smaller the spoon you use, the greater the chance or error, if you see what I mean.

I wonder whether that is true ?  If a recipe calls for a teaspoon of X, and I inadvertently use a rounded teaspoon of X, then will I not have the same excess (pro rata) as if I were to do the same with a chef's spoon ?

** Phil.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 04:50 PM »
I don't believe so Phil, no, especially when you consider a heaped spoonful. But i'll leave it there. ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes