Author Topic: mix powder from Zaal,Fleet  (Read 23430 times)

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: mix powder from Zaal,Fleet
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2012, 04:51 PM »
Hi

Can you confirm that this below is Az garam masala's recipe and is the cardamon powder or whole with husks etc

three cinammon sticks
one heaped desert spoon green cardomon
one flat level mustard seed
three quarters level onion seed
five or six bay leaves
one level cumin
half level fennel
Simply roast in the oven,cool then put into a coffe grinder.The smell was amazing,so different to the pre made stuff.Az said it's pretty potent stuff and should be used sparingly,
certainly not sprinkled on a dish at the end as some sources suggest.

Cheers

Ed

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2012, 04:59 PM »
Can you confirm that this below is Az garam masala's recipe and is the cardamon powder or whole with husks etc
This is indeed the Zaal garam masala.  I got to measure it out (under Az's instructions) and dictate the volumes as i see them to jb to record.  The green cardamons were indeed whole, not powdered.

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2012, 05:03 PM »
Cheers CH gonna have to give this a try?

:)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2012, 05:14 PM »
It is about ratio but the smaller the spoon you use, the greater the chance or error, if you see what I mean. These values are for volume measures though, so you'll need to convert them to weight values before applying the ratio.
Mmm, not sure that i agree Malc.  You can be just as inaccurate with a chef's spoon as a teaspoon and just as inconsistant.  I would have said it was all relative really ::).  But by using a fixed measured unit ie. level tbs or tsp etc will result in the correct ratio.  And it was ratio the chef was measuring out and he didn't see any need for scales to do it, so i don't see why we should ;)
Made this mix when i used up my other one, and have continued to make it ever since.  IMHO it ranks as one of the best here.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2012, 05:22 PM »
Cheers CH gonna have to give this a try?

:)
As per the original thread Edwin, bare in mind that after the intial grind Az wasn't happy with the cardamon overpowering the mix and added additonal cassia bark and Asian bay so you may want to add another stick of cassia and 2 or 3 extra bay leaves.  The powder should be darkish brown and the smell of cardamon should just be detectable whereas the cassia and bay should be fairly prominent.
Good luck and let us know how you get on  ;)

Offline Tommy Timebomb

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2014, 09:21 AM »
Thought this simple spreadsheet might be useful for someone looking to make this with scaled down quantities... Just change the number in the yellow box to if you want to tweak. I used this to make a reasonable home dose of the stuff (tablespoons)

ps. Thanks a million to all who made the effort to get this hands on training. Superb!!

http://www.mediafire.com/?gaz29yy9n4hd99g
The link to your spreadsheet does not appear to be working anymore Jeera.
Is it still in existence pls as I would like to see how you made it?
Never been good at maths lol.

©2024 Curry Recipes