Author Topic: Ultimate Vindaloo  (Read 36597 times)

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate Vindaloo
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2014, 09:20 AM »
Madrasandy,

No not making the jb base (or any new base). I'm happy and no gap or %.

The only 2 areas I have real interest is oil and mix powder. I buy mix from Iffu and parked it for now.

Jerry

What base do you use, is it a forum base or your own creation?

What is Iffu mix powder and where do you buy it?

Where are you up too in your search for the perfect oil?

Cheers

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2014, 05:09 PM »
i use my "my take" base most of the time as i have all ingredients to hand. i used to make parker21 rajver (coconut) but now switched to parker21 mouchak (always felt rajver oil was not good enough - may have been wrong and switch back on the cards - still work in progress). for big amount i use iffu base (very similar to curry2go ie cabbage). i do rate saffron too.

i buy the iffu mix from iffu via ebay "suzypicknmix" (his wife).

search for the oil is long. have added in whole spice (have used spice ball etc but now rely on chef garam), have added in black salt (ie cooking:black salt 50:50). i also aim to freeze 50% of the oil i make in each base to carry forward into the next base (freezing it). am currently using no water in base and extending cooking time to typ 5 hrs. this increases the oil strength. still work in progress.

the oil search comes from tasting some from local TA sometime ago. i cant get close. the only thought i have left (which i doubt) is to buy some essential oil in bottle say fennel. it may be ott and not worth it though.

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2014, 10:09 PM »
Cheers Jerry, cant seem to find anything on ebay for the mix powder though.Is the iffu base on the forum(sorry just been lazy there)
 Good luck with th oil search

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2014, 02:14 AM »
the oil search comes from tasting some from local TA sometime ago. i cant get close. the only thought i have left (which i doubt) is to buy some essential oil in bottle say fennel. it may be ott and not worth it though.

Jerry I can't help but feel that you're just going too far with your analysis. OK, you can't reproduce the oil you get from the local BIR but, in general, the BIRs aren't using any really unusual ingredients. The jb garlic tarka sort of tells you that, at least for some, it's just the technique that's missing not the ingredients (garlic and oil FFS...big deal!).

Don't you think it's time to concentrate on the techniques used with the ingredients we know they use rather than any unusual (secret) ingredients?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2014, 04:41 PM »
Madrasandy,

The eBay contact is to send message to his wife. The mix was listed some time ago but now not for a while. If struggling pm and I will email Iffu to put you in contact.

Yes posted - Will look up base when next on my desktop. Iffu posted an original base then a quite different follow up.

Secret santa,

Yes for sure. There is no secret ingredient. I've tasted 2 BIR base and neither had tarka taste. I do love the tarka taste though both the zaal method and the Nottingham video for the jalfrezi.

I've tried baggar for base and all the various methods and ingredients. I don't see any real improvement in the finished dish.

I do see difference from mix powder. 

Technique is sorted for me too. Id love for us all to concentrate on it to confirm or otherwise or even identify improvement.

Its all quite difficult for me to understand and have to keep going back to BE statement that he could not help - which I could not believe at the time. I now realise we all seem to have different needs/gaps.

I'm more thank happy to contribute where I can

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2014, 09:18 AM »
Cheers jerry, I have found his wife on Facebook ,and I'll check for the base recipes

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2014, 11:12 AM »
link to iffu base (not original which is quite different)

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,7621.0.html

©2024 Curry Recipes