Author Topic: King Prawn Madras  (Read 7988 times)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: King Prawn Madras
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 06:08 PM »
 ;D ;D Roflmao... you crazy fool  ;D ;D

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 12:59 PM »
hi g/gls
would it not be a good  idea  to post the recipe you used when making your curry dishes then posting the pictures as it may help peeps out knowing that they can first see what their dish should look like before making it but as i say unless you include links to each recipe but then it becomes a bit like a pat chapman book ::)

regards
gary

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 09:34 PM »
Good point Parker, this is a bit of my own recipe which is a bit crazy as it involves throwing spices around but here goes....

Ingredients
Handfull King Prawns - Defrosted in hot water
2.5 Ladles Base Sauce (A Good Curry Base http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,923.0.html)
Pinch - Turmeric
Pinch - Chili Powder
Pinch - Coriander Powder
Pinch - Any restaurant masala mix
Garnish with Coriander
1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste (the thick stuff)
Oil (Good glug)

Method
Heat oil until very hot
Throw spices in oil one at a time as quickly as you can
Stir around
Add 1 tablespoon water - stir around let steam evaporate, add another spoon water
Stir (this whole process should take around 90 seconds)
Add 3 Tablespoons of Base Sauce
Add prawns stir to coat in spices fry for 2 or 3 minutes
Add tomato paste - stir
Add Half Ladle Base sauce
Stir and reduce down for a minute
Add 2 more ladles of base
Bubble and boil for a good 5 minutes
Add coriander
Take off heat, leave to cool

Serve

I hope this makes sense and also i like to move round the kitchen and cook at 100 miles per hour just like the takeaway chefs.  This won't add anything to your finished product but makes you feel offical.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 09:37 PM by Admin »

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2006, 09:54 PM »
Good point Parker, this is a bit of my own recipe which is a bit crazy as it involves throwing spices around but here goes....

Ingredients
Handfull King Prawns - Defrosted in hot water

Oh NO  :o  :o  :o Stew Please be careful you should NEVER defrost prawns in hot water they should be defrosted at room temperature or if it's an emergency you can leave them in their bag and soak in cold water Stew we don't want to lose you after all the tremendous work you have Done Oh my goodness  :o  :o
Layne ;)

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2006, 10:39 PM »
You are quite right Layne - it is a foodsafe no no.
Foods should never be thawed or even stored on the counter, or defrosted in hot water. Food left above 40 ?F (unrefrigerated) is not at a safe temperature.

Even though the center of the package may still be frozen as it thaws on the counter, the outer layer of the food is in the "Danger Zone," between 40 and 140 ?F ? at temperatures where bacteria multiply rapidly.

When defrosting frozen foods, it's best to plan ahead and thaw food in the refrigerator where food will remain at a safe, constant temperature ? 40 ?F or below.

There are three safe ways to defrost food: in the refrigerator, in cold water, and in the microwave.

Refrigerator Thawing
Planning ahead is the key to this method because of the lengthy time involved. A large frozen item like a turkey requires at least a day (24 hours) for every 5 pounds of weight. Even small amounts of frozen food -- such as a pound of ground meat or boneless chicken breasts -- require a full day to thaw. When thawing foods in the refrigerator, there are several variables to take into account.

* Some areas of an appliance may keep the food colder than other areas. Food placed in the coldest part will require longer defrosting time.
* Food takes longer to thaw in a refrigerator set at 35 ?F than one set at 40 ?F.

After thawing in the refrigerator, ground meat and poultry should remain useable for an additional day or two before cooking; red meat, 3 to 5 days. Foods defrosted in the refrigerator can be refrozen without cooking, although there may be some loss of quality.

Cold Water Thawing
This method is faster than refrigerator thawing but requires more attention. The food must be in a leak-proof package or plastic bag. If the bag leaks, bacteria from the air or surrounding environment could be introduced into the food. Also, meat tissue can also absorb water like a sponge, resulting in a watery product.

The bag should be submerged in cold tap water, changing the water every 30 minutes so it continues to thaw. Small packages of meat or poultry ? about a pound ? may defrost in an hour or less. A 3- to 4-pound package may take 2 to 3 hours. For whole turkeys, estimate about 30 minutes per pound. If thawed completely, the food must be cooked immediately.

Foods thawed by the cold water method should be cooked before refreezing.

Microwave Thawing
When microwave defrosting food, plan to cook it immediately after thawing because some areas of the food may become warm and begin to cook during microwave defrosting. Holding partially cooked food is not recommended because any bacteria present wouldn't have been destroyed and, indeed, may have reached optimal temperatures for bacteria to grow.

Foods thawed in the microwave should be cooked before refreezing.

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2006, 12:02 AM »
I only ever defrost prawns this way, been doing it for a few years, never had any problems.
Good advice though will not do it again.

Plan the work, work the plan....don't cut corners like me

S

Offline wardy11

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2006, 02:23 PM »
Hi, could anyone tell me if these thawing methods apply to frozen cooked prawns. I have been known to thaw these in water out of kettle. 

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2006, 05:57 PM »
Hi, could anyone tell me if these thawing methods apply to frozen cooked prawns
Mark
Yes Absolutely DO NOT use hot or warm water to thaw any frozen seafood cooked or uncooked !

As CC as rightly stated below the correct procedure is to plan ahead and let them defrost slowly in the fridge overnight.

You could find yourself making an unwanted trip to hospital  :-\
Layne
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 05:59 PM by laynebritton »

©2024 Curry Recipes