Author Topic: Flaming Balt  (Read 7599 times)

Offline jockomalay

• Chef
    • View Profile
Flaming Balt
« on: August 29, 2006, 01:24 PM »
Here are some pictures of my Balti Curry being fired off

Cheers

Jockomalay

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Flaming Balt
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 06:50 PM »
Bloody hell! Well impressed.

At what stage was the cooking at when you flamed it and how did you get it to flame?

YF

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 06:48 AM »
Flaming Hell!!  ;)

Offline jockomalay

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Flaming Balti
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 06:00 AM »
Hi Yellow Fingers,

After you have cooked everything.  If you are have having Balti style chicken breast for example, the chicken it should be just this side of pink. Heat 2tbls of oil till it's really hot, then add a couple of ladles of the complete sauce in quick succession, it will fire up as the hot oil spontaneously combusts, it should only flame for a couple of seconds as the sauce will bring down the temperature below combustion level. There will be a lot of smoke, turn down the heat immediately and sizzle for around 1-2 mins, stir around and at the end add a good two tablespoons of chopped fresh coriander leaves. As I said in my previous posts it is best to do this outside, unless of course you have an industrial sized extractor fan.

Cheers
Jockomalay

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 08:36 AM »
Very well done, that has got to be tried

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 12:51 PM »
Fantastic  ;D

Offline currychris

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 09:03 PM »
My God...hows the ceiling? :o

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 10:31 AM »
Hi Jock,

Looks like fun Jock!   ;D

Do you know the input energy consumption of your burner? (in Mega Joules per hour.....MJ/h?)......there should be a sticker on the burner somewhere?

I'm just about to buy a similar burner but I'm not sure whether to go for a 32 MJ/h (three valve) burner or a 59MJ/h (4 valve) burner......

......awwww.....what the hell!  I think I'll go with the 59 MJ/h one...I can always turn off one valve if I'm having too much fun!  :P

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 10:47 AM »
Looks good and about right for what you are trying to achieve.  There has been a lot of discussion about this technique on another thread and it is just about to be transferred to Hints & Tips etc.  Also Darth posted links to a site that sells these burners.  The point about flaming (correct name is flash frying, which is not flambe) is that it is the gas/stem/oil mixture above the dish that you ignite not the actual oil or ingredients in the pan.  All oils change their chemical structure when ignited and they become carcinogenic!  Look what happens in a chip pan fire!

Happy Safe Cooking
CP

Offline jockomalay

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 04:39 AM »
Hi there,

Yep it's not the ingredients that are burning but the mixture of oil vapour & steam above the pan, you don't heat the oil so much that it starts to burn, i.e. chip pan scenario. Now that stinks..
Re carcinogenic, so are chips & crisps & most importantly chicken tikka!!. In the words of Private Fraser "We're aw doomed".  Of course, we could start eating raw ostrich eggs fed on alfalfa. see...

http://www.mercola.com/2002/jul/3/fast_food.htm

Re Cory Ander and the question of the burner, afraid I don't know the answer to that I bought mine for about 3 quid in a local supermarket. I will post a picture of it if you like.

Re Curry Chris...Ceilings fine cos I do it outside.

Cheers

Jockomalay
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 06:23 AM by jockomalay »

©2024 Curry Recipes