Author Topic: Tenderising Chicken  (Read 25411 times)

Offline jalfreziT

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Tenderising Chicken
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2019, 06:30 PM »
Mickyp, it takes quite some time for chicken fillets to warm up from fridge temp (under 4

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2019, 09:54 PM »
All meats have loads of those things on them and in them which is why we cook em lol, im still of the school room temp before cooking.

that said Rice is a different kettle of fish , i never have that lying around after its been cooked.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2019, 12:39 AM »
Chilled or room temp, raw chicken cooks the same, makes no difference either way,

Just more trivia aimed at risk averse, noncooks and has nothing to do with tenderising or cooking tender chicken.
Learning how to cook usually sorts that out. ;)

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2019, 08:23 AM »
Chilled or room temp, raw chicken cooks the same, makes no difference either way,

Just more trivia aimed at risk averse, noncooks and has nothing to do with tenderising or cooking tender chicken.
Learning how to cook usually sorts that out. ;)

I totally agree with you there, I learn new things practically every day,  do you ? ;)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2019, 10:46 AM »
The cooking of meat from room temperature is primarily used for large cuts of steak, where if cold it would cause the cooking surface to cool and the meat would stew instead of searing. It would usually suffice to remove from the fridge 15 minutes before cooking. I would not say it has any relation to tenderness or any other quality of the meat and is only required for large pieces.  Not chicken. Raw chicken should be kept refrigerated as much as possible prior to cooking.

Offline jalfreziT

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2019, 11:13 AM »
For anyone still unsure about the "myth factor" of this "take meat out 30 mins before cooking" advice, that is touted around by chefs:

1. Take a lump of meat out of the fridge and put it on the worktop.
2. Stick a digital cooking thermometer in it.
3. Start your stop watch,

Hint: It takes a very long time, much longer than you every thought. I was on my second bottle of wine by the time my meat reached "room temperature",

That's all factual.

More subjectively, for me, I have never noticed any benefit from letting meat warm up to room temperature. Of course others might have difference experiences.

littlechili

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2019, 10:58 PM »
For anyone still unsure about the "myth factor" of this "take meat out 30 mins before cooking" advice, that is touted around by chefs:

1. Take a lump of meat out of the fridge and put it on the worktop.
2. Stick a digital cooking thermometer in it.
3. Start your stop watch,

Hint: It takes a very long time, much longer than you every thought. I was on my second bottle of wine by the time my meat reached "room temperature",

That's all factual.

More subjectively, for me, I have never noticed any benefit from letting meat warm up to room temperature. Of course others might have difference experiences.

This time taken would indicate your waiting for the internal temperature of chicken /meat o reach room temperature, bad idea. Generally the advice you talk wrongly about is it to let the chicken relax in room temperature (briefly) before cooking. This because it
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 11:17 PM by littlechili »

Offline jalfreziT

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2019, 11:35 AM »
Generally the advice you talk wrongly about is it to let the chicken relax in room temperature (briefly) before cooking. This because it

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2019, 01:15 PM »
well for tonights meal i think i will cook the can of worms i have opened, after they have got to room temp of course :)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2019, 07:54 AM »
well for tonights meal i think i will cook the can of worms i have opened, after they have got to room temp of course :)

:D

©2024 Curry Recipes