Author Topic: Which tomatoes do you use? There is a difference!  (Read 3708 times)

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Which tomatoes do you use? There is a difference!
« on: December 05, 2012, 12:44 PM »
I don't really know where to start with this.
The other day I Decided to make curry for tea and Bombay potatoes.
So I got all the kitchen setup and everything laid out, okay let's get started.
I started with the Bombay potatoes one of two portions, when I was cooking I didn't get that smell, the taste was just okay.
Second portion of Bombay potatoes the same thing, ho well let's move on.
The first 2 Currys was to be madras, so I set about making the first one, the same thing I didn't get that smell whilst cooking it and the taste was off edible but just not right.
Set about making the second madras, the same thing.
Now at this point I'm starting to get a bit frustrated and questioning myself, what I am doing wrong, have I lost it, have I forgot how to cook a curry.
Next up one of two portions of South Indian garlic, nope still not happening, I still did not get that smell when I was cooking. The curry was edible but just not right, now at this point I've really gone past the point of frustration and slipping into depression.
Luckily at this point I had to take the wife to the doctors, when we got there I was still depressed and told the wife I will wait in the car.
So sat in the car thinking to myself right what have you done different, what have you changed. After 15 minutes and running it all through my head I got it.
When I was at the shop in the morning picking up a few things that I needed, one of them being tined tomato, I opted to get the chopped and not the plum tomatoes.
Once back home the first thing I did was taste the tomato wow very strong and very acidic, this was a mix of one can of tomato's to half a can of water. So I added 50% water and set about making the last South Indian garlic.
The curry turned out a lot better but still not up to my usual standard.
Last night I made spaghetti Bolognese for tea, I normally use chopped tinned tomatoes just for ease, and have to fight with it to reduce the acidity and try to calm down the strong tomato flavour. Well this time I used the plum tomatoes and blended them, what a difference i even had to add more tomato pur?e.

What are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 01:02 PM by h4ppy-chris »

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Which tomatoes do you use? There is a difference!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 04:07 PM »
I agree with that. I always use Italian plum tomatoes if a recipe calls for tinned tomatoes.
I think they just taste nicer than ready chopped tins.

Cheers

Paul

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Which tomatoes do you use? There is a difference!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 08:18 PM »
I'm using ktc brand chopped tomatoes at the moment & clock tower brand tomato paste cut 1 in 3 or sometimes  4 water to make curries. They both seem ok, but the Italian brands do seem to have a bit more flavour. I've never used tinned either chopped or plum at the curry dish making stage, but do get you regarding the smell sometimes described as toffee like. I think it smells more like a slightly burned tomato soup myself. If that smell doesn't make its presence known to me, the curry is a dud, guaranteed. I've often turned a dud curry  around by re cooking & adding the finished sauce to a bit more GG oil tomato etc.
The guys in the Asian grocers say they prefer White Tower brand tomato paste, but the tins are too big for me to deal with

Regards
ELW

©2024 Curry Recipes