Author Topic: Tandoor Technique for Naan/Roti?  (Read 6155 times)

Offline Zap

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Tandoor Technique for Naan/Roti?
« on: December 05, 2012, 11:14 PM »
I'm probably speaking to a limited audience, but I was curious to get comments from any others on the forum that might be lucky enough to have a Tandoor at their disposal.

I have a small, charcoal fired tandoor that I am trying to use.  I'm not sure that it is the best quality, so I don't know about variation from maker to maker.  I was instructed to not attempt breads until after the first few burns and to salt wash the clay liner.  I've done all this and I still haven't had much luck with it.

The Naan breads end up sticking to the side, every time OR falling off.  I've made decent Naan bread in the oven and I know I should be able to get restaurant quality breads using a real tandoor.

Maybe my firing technique is a bit off - I wasn't given good instructions for how to run it.  I'd also be curious to hear if anyone is using gas vs charcoal for the heat.  I would think it would be a lot more consistent.

I would appreciate any commentary from others that have experience - I'd hate to think it is sitting on my patio for nothing!  :-\  Granted, I've made some decent tikka in there, but even the cook process there seems a bit more involved than it should be.

Thanks!

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Tandoor Technique for Naan/Roti?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 06:21 PM »
If the naans fall off, it's not hot enough
If the back of the naans are burnt, it's too hot
I'm afraid you just have to work out, how it performs
My tandoor is gas, and takes about three quarters of an hour to get to "naan" heat
Even though I've been cooking with it, for seven years, I still get hit and miss results on the breads
The tikka is comparitively easy
Most of my Asian friends cook, the majority of chicken tikka, after the tandoor is turned off
This is because it burns very easily
They normally cook, 24 hour marinated half chicken breasts, on skewers
It's heated up as required in a microwave
They do cook fresh, if they run out, but that is quite unusual

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Tandoor Technique for Naan/Roti?
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 03:12 PM »
Possibly a better seasoning is required:

"We recommend the following tandoor curing process. You are free to adopt a process that works best for you.

Initially before firing a tandoor, apply 2 coats of masala/paste for curing purpose. This paste is made by using ground spinach (Palak), 250 grams of mustard oil (or any oil), 50 grams of jaggery, 5 ? 6 eggs, 2 teaspoons of turmeric, and a pinch of salt. Mix this stuff thoroughly and apply it to the inner portion of the tandoor. Let this paste dry for 8 hrs.

Again repeat the process and let it dry (for 8 hrs.) Thereafter fire the tandoor with just 2 kgs. of charcoal (or slow gas) and close the top opening with the lid provided to you. Allow heat to generate inside the oven for at least 2 hrs. Increase the quantity of coal (flow of gas) slowly and gradually. After the tandoor attains its? required temperature, it is then ready for serving delicious tandoori dishes.

Once the temperature of the tandoor is optimum, a naan stuck to the walls won?t fall off. Each component of the seasoning plays a different role. The spinach is used for binding purposes while the salt adds flavor to the naan. The blend of mustard oil and jaggery helps to provide a shiny finish to the inner walls of the tandoor. The first lot of naans that come out of the tandoor after the curing process are comparatively darker with a heavy mustard oil flavor.

The process of masala application is required every fortnight (recommended), which results in carbon free naan/tandoori roti?s. Finally safe and gentle handling will always increase the life of a tandoor"

©2024 Curry Recipes