Author Topic: Cloves  (Read 3893 times)

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Cloves
« on: December 17, 2012, 02:29 PM »
Simple question.
When cloves are required is it best to use the ones with the little round heads in or does it not matter? Is the 'cloviness' in the stem , the head or in both?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Cloves
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 02:44 PM »
I don't think it really matters which part you use, RD.

However, I've long ago stopped using cloves (apart from in making Garam Masala).  I don't think they are a "typical BIR" ingredient. 

I think they are largely a Pat Chapman (and a traditional Indian cooking) ingredient.....and that is not meant to be a criticism of Pat Chapman (I have great admiration for his contributions to BIR cooking).

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 02:53 PM »
It depends on the recipe RD, if you are required to remove the hard spice once used then use it whole, stem and head unless the head has come away ;) ), otherwise use ground.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 03:07 PM »
It depends on the recipe RD, if you are required to remove the hard spice once used then use it whole, stem and head unless the head has come away ;) ), otherwise use ground.

Thanks Axe but it is not a whole or ground issue..  I find myself fishing through the pot and digging out those that appear whole with the round head intact. Just wondered if this paranoid android was wasting his time.   ::)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 03:20 PM »
I remember a long while back TA samosas (meat and veg) always used to come with a clove stuck in them.  I buy the frozen ready-mades now, and always pop one or two in after frying.  Like!

Rob  :) 

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 03:30 PM »
Thanks Axe but it is not a whole or ground issue..  I find myself fishing through the pot and digging out those that appear whole with the round head intact. Just wondered if this paranoid android was wasting his time.  ::)

Hehe, I do the same thing but it really doesn't mater. ;)

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 03:41 PM »
Thanks Axe but it is not a whole or ground issue..  I find myself fishing through the pot and digging out those that appear whole with the round head intact. Just wondered if this paranoid android was wasting his time.  ::)

Hehe, I do the same thing but it really doesn't mater. ;)

Glad I am not the only OCD curry cook around.   :o

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 04:41 PM »
I don't think it really matters which part you use, RD.

However, I've long ago stopped using cloves (apart from in making Garam Masala).  I don't think they are a "typical BIR" ingredient. 

I think they are largely a Pat Chapman (and a traditional Indian cooking) ingredient.....and that is not meant to be a criticism of Pat Chapman (I have great admiration for his contributions to BIR cooking).

I remember making a Garam masala from PCs Balti curry cookbook that is really heavy on the cloves. The recipes are also really heavy on the GM. I don't know if this is 'authentic' Balti but I found it really overpowering. At least my teeth didn't ache!

©2024 Curry Recipes