Author Topic: Curries using Glasgow base  (Read 31297 times)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Curries using Glasgow base
« on: January 14, 2013, 11:40 AM »
Well I had some spare time this morning so I had a go at making some curries using Bigboaby1's base sauce.I made a chicken tikka massala,chicken madras and a balti garlic jaflrezi....

Massala.....

balti garlic jalfrezi......

chicken madras....

I have to say I was very,very impressed.If I was served this in a restaurant I would be more than happy.The cooking technique felt a bit strange,ie putting everything in a cold pan with no oil etc but it certainly gave me the result I was looking for.The gravy does thin out itself when it goes in the pan.Considering the amount of oil that went into the base I was ready for an overly oily curry,but as you can see from my pictures this wasn't the case.Was it better than my usual curries using my prefered Little India Base sauce? No I don't think so.That's not a criticism,it's just that I'm more than happy with the curries I produce,this gives me more or less the same result albeit in a slightly different method.It's certainly easier to cook the curries,everything goes in the pan at once.

Many thanks for your input Bigboaby,a great success(for me at least).Whether this will work with a scaled down gravy I really don't know.I see you've already encountered a bit of banter on another thread,however I urge you not desert us and keep posting my friend.

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Curries using Glasgow base
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 12:21 PM »
Nice work, JB - those dishes look superb, and your feedback is much appreciated. I'm looking forward to trying this method out too (using the full 7kg of onions for the base).

On the subject of the base, did you find that the whole spices blended okay? Were there a few gritty bits left, or wasn't it an issue?

I ask becaue I use a Bamix stick blender, which is a good quality bit of kit but may not be up to the job of blitzing whole spices. But then they're going to be pretty soft after an hour or two of cooking.

Sod it. Only one way to find out!

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 12:25 PM »
Thanks Jb, these curries look fantastic. Did you add orange coloring to the lower 2?

I also urge bigboaby1 not to leave us as I have been impressed by his knowledge and additions to the forum too :)

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 12:26 PM »
Looks good JB, what madras recipe did you use?

Stew

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 12:33 PM »
I used a bit of red in my massala paste,a tiny bit of this went into my jalfrezi as well as some naga pickle.No colour in the madras.

The madras recipe was just a bog standard one... into the cold pan went G/G paste,methi,small star anise,chili powder,tomato puree,pinch of coriander,finely chopped onion and a spoonful of base sauce.Add chicken,cook for a couple of minutes  and then finish with more coriander and a splash of lemon dressing.

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 12:36 PM »
Nice work, JB - those dishes look superb, and your feedback is much appreciated. I'm looking forward to trying this method out too (using the full 7kg of onions for the base).

On the subject of the base, did you find that the whole spices blended okay? Were there a few gritty bits left, or wasn't it an issue?

I ask becaue I use a Bamix stick blender, which is a good quality bit of kit but may not be up to the job of blitzing whole spices. But then they're going to be pretty soft after an hour or two of cooking.

That was one of my concerns but actually the whole spices blended perfectly,I think this may be due to the length of time the base is cooked.Mind you I used a proper blender,not a stick one and did give it a good blitz.

Offline Martinwhynot

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 01:06 PM »
Really great to see that those who try it are actually getting something from it.  Lets be honest if it is a restaurant recipe it will produce restuarant results - maybe not like your local - but BIR nevertheless.

These look delicious, well done sir!

More recipes, BB1!

Martin

Offline Achille17

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 01:43 PM »
Very nice pictures indeed!

Which recipe did you use to produce your CTM?

Since the gravy is a lot thicker, do you use a smaller a quantity or the exactly the same quantity? Did you get this consistency with the base gravy or the cream?

I have to say that I can't wait that BB1 posts Chicken Tikka Masala and Chicken Korma recipes!

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 02:05 PM »

I wondered about this and I certainly don't fancy pushing this one through a sieve.

Nice pics JB. Looks tasty. :P

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 02:23 PM »

That was one of my concerns but actually the whole spices blended perfectly,I think this may be due to the length of time the base is cooked.Mind you I used a proper blender,not a stick one and did give it a good blitz.
excellent results JB can you tell me if you used my Glasgow pre cooked chicken in the recipe's or your own...I have to say this to everyone who uses my base sauce is to use my Glasgow pre cooked chicken because of the extra spices and coating.. sediment.. sauce from the marinade spiced oil..etc loads of things going on.....I would never use one without the other to give the base sauce it's true flavour....the marinade is used in all of our chicken dishes..I can't stress enough again the wonderful flavours and aroma that comes from this cooked marinade..IT'S LIKE HAVING TEA WITHOUT SUGAR....Once again well done JB

©2024 Curry Recipes