Author Topic: GLASGOW CHICKEN TIKKA MASSALA  (Read 11329 times)

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
GLASGOW CHICKEN TIKKA MASSALA
« on: January 17, 2013, 12:17 PM »
1 LEVEL TSP TOMATOE PUREE
8 PIECES OF CHICKEN
1/2 HEAPED TSP METHI
1 TSP GARLIC GINGER PASTE
1/2 TSP LEVEL KASHMIRI RED CHILLI POWDER
1 TSP FRESH CORIANDER
1 CHEF SPOON SEASONED OIL
200ML GLASGOW BASE SAUCE OR ENOUGH FOR A PORTION SIZE
IF YOU THINK YOUR DISH NEEDS MORE SAUCE YOU CAN ADD IT AT ANYTIME

MASALA SAUCE
125 ml Fresh Single Cream
FEW SQIRTS OF LEMON JUICE
1 LEVEL TBLS RED SAUCE MIX (RECIPE BELOW )
1 HEAPED TSP SUGAR
1 HEAPED TBLS CASHEW NUT POWDER

METHOD

STEP 1 TO A DRY PAN ADD TOMATO PUREE..METHI..GARLIC AND GINGER PASTE..CHILLI..CORIANDER..1 TBLS BASE SAUCE
TURN PAN ON A HIGH HEAT AS SOON AS THE SPICES START TO ROAST ADD 1 CHEF SPOON OF SEASONED OIL TO THE PAN..COOK FOR ABOUT 30 SECONDS THEN ADD THE REST OF YOUR BASE SAUCE..KEEP EVERYTHING ON A HIGH HEAT AT ALL TIMES
THE SAME APLIES TO ALL MY DISHES

STEP 2 ADD CHICEN..I USE MY GLASGOW PRE COOKED CHICKEN
YOU CAN USE CHICKEN TIKKA MARINADE IF YOU WANT THERE ARE A WHOLE LOAD OF THEM ON THE SITE WITCH ARE VERY SIMILAR TO THE ONE WE USE.. HONESTLY ANY ONE WILL DO..I PREFER MINE IN THE TANDOOR BUT I DON'T HAVE ONE AT HOME
SO I JUST USE MY PRE COOKED CHICKEN

STEP 2 ADD MASSALA SAUCE COOK FOR A FUTHER 10 MINUTES ...DONE

RED SAUCE MIX
LGE TUB OF NATURAL YOGURT THE BIGGEST ONE ON THE SHELF
1 TSP RED FOOD COLOURING POWDER
1 TSP DEEP ORANGE FOOD COLOURING
1 TSP SALT
1/2 TSP RED CHILLI KASHMIRI POWDER
MIX ALL TOGETHER
THIS WILL DO ABOUT 10 CURRY'S....THIS MIX IS USED IN A NUMBER OF CURRYS

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: GLASGOW CHICKEN TIKKA MASSALA
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 01:04 PM »
Thanks BB1,very simiar to others I've see, no tandoori paste anywhere? The use of cashew nut powder is interesting,I've only used almond powder so I'll give this one a go.I  don't think I've seen it in my local shop,I presume it's TRS or Rajah brand? The seasoned oil you mention,is that specially made in some way or have I missed this in a previous post?

many thanks JB

Offline Achille17

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 01:41 PM »
THANK YOU VERY MUCH for this recipe too!

In comparison to other recipes I've tried, I'm surprised by the very small quantity of sugar and the absence of coconut powder.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to testing it (and my wife to tasting it)!

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 01:54 PM »
This is a strange one BB1. There's nothing in the recipe in the way of tandoori spices! Does it rely on getting the spices from the pre-cooked tikka? If so what's the recipe for the tikka please?

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 02:43 PM »
This is a strange one BB1. There's nothing in the recipe in the way of tandoori spices! Does it rely on getting the spices from the pre-cooked tikka? If so what's the recipe for the tikka please?
My chef told me a soon as you add coconut and more sugar it will resemble and taste like a korma..the  seasoned oil comes from m pre cooked chicken......There is nothing really new with this massala the only difference being is using my base sauce....my chef never uses the pataks sauces to his currys the only time he uses it it is for chicken marinades ie pakora..and tandoor chicken...The tandoori flavour comes from the chicken cooked in the tandoor.....To replicate that in the house is impossible..Thats why you cant go into a an indians and ask for some tandoori sauce,,they would need to cook chicken in the tandoor first and then add it to the sauce and then remove the chicken..sounds mad but that's what they would need to do..it's the only way you would have the tikka taste in your sauce.. you will never replicate chicken tikka using the marinades that are on the site ..The marinades (PATAKS ) should be used to marinate the chicken only and not to be used as massala sauce....as i said we only use pataks pastes for marinades but not used separately....This was explained to me by my chef Mr Singh who has 25 years exp.. I'm only passing on what he's told me ...Thanks guys..as far as i'm concerned this guy is a curry genius and at times i have to pinch my self..i shake with excitement when he makes something new..he just throws spices from one end to the room to the other and end up in the pan this is followed by a dance as he cooks your curry..he takes great pride in what he does..he calls me now his brother.... he is hilarious you have to see him

BB1
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 03:04 PM by bigboaby1 »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 02:54 PM »
I think you've confused me even more BB!.  :o ;D

Are you saying that the Glasgow CTM is essentially a korma with tandoori chicken added? That would definitely make more sense of the ingredients you've listed.

I suppose my confusion is because I've only eaten English CTM where there will always be some tandoori masla in the sauce.

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 03:14 PM »
I think you've confused me even more BB!.  :o ;D

Are you saying that the Glasgow CTM is essentially a korma with tandoori chicken added? That would definitely make more sense of the ingredients you've listed.

I suppose my confusion is because I've only eaten English CTM where there will always be some tandoori masla in the sauce.
sorry for the confusion guys.. I try my best to explain things but i'm not the best......There is only a small amount of sugar  only to sweeten it slightly..and no coconut...if there where more sugar and the addition of coconut then it would most certainly be Korma...have a look at my Korma recipe it is completely different....I love you guys just go easy on me..i have a soft touch lol

If you take for example the runny base....This sauce is a million miles away from resembling a curry rather than making it right  from the start they have to use mix powders and pataks pastes to get flavour back into it with a cooking time of roughly 7 minutes...spices need to mature for hours to get their full flavour apart from adding a bit of chilli to give it some heat..some members might not agree but it's not their fault.. This what they been taught from the beginning of time myself included..I've been taught now to keep things simple and to over complicate things...keep it simple is my motto
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 04:23 PM by bigboaby1 »

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 05:49 PM »
"Thats why you cant go into a an indians and ask for some tandoori sauce"

Actually a few of my local places offer extra portions of massla sauce on their menu(no meat or veg),so they must have a way of providing massala/tandoori flavour without the use of tikka meat.Nonetheless another great post,keep 'em coming!

©2024 Curry Recipes