Author Topic: My Curry Journey  (Read 40938 times)

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: My Curry Journey
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 11:11 AM »
[size=78%]I was looking at the skewers today in the Indian shop I've been using. Might be my next purchase.[/size]

You could just grill them like a sausage without the need for skewers.  ;)

They cook better on skewers. Cook from inside as well as outside so you do not need to do them for so long and they do not dry out as much.

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 01:33 PM »
[size=78%]I was looking at the skewers today in the Indian shop I've been using. Might be my next purchase.[/size]

You could just grill them like a sausage without the need for skewers.  ;)

They cook better on skewers. Cook from inside as well as outside so you do not need to do them for so long and they do not dry out as much.

You've just reminded me that I must try stuffing some kebab mix into some sausage casing/skin one day to see how they turn out!

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 08:25 PM »
Here's tonights offerings. A 'traditional style' chicken biryani with a vegetable sauce. I've wanted to try the layer type Biryani for ages now and after looking at a few recipes I decided on this one as it seemed easy for starting off with plus it was on the Currylicious calender my missus had that we got on the cheap through the link below. I used red birds eye chillies instead of green chillies as well as they seem to be multiplying in my fridge drawer.
Recipe here.

http://titlisbusykitchen.com/archives/chicken-biryani (shes mental  ;D)

I accompanied it with Dip's biryani sauce for which I increased the chili powder as we prefer the sauce with a bit more kick and precooked what veg was in the house which was broccoli, couple potatoes, carrot and some mushrooms. i also chucked in some left over cabbage and the pre-cooked onions from the biryani which were supposed to go on top. Both myself and the missus and the daughter have gave it the big thumbs up. I would have quite happily paid for it in a restaurant (even though I cooked it myself). We've got a few people coming round in a couple of weeks so along with yesterdays sheek kebabs, its now on the list.

I froze the left over base today which I had doubled up when I made it. I probably got about 22 - 300ml portion out of it all together which is far more than I thought I would initially get. Once I've worked my way through those, Cory Ander is next on the hit list, Can't wait.

Photos are Veg sauce, Chicken Biryani and plated meal.

And before some people pick it up, yes I do have a favourite fork. :)
And my 'Zeeshan International' (stamped on the bottom) ?6.99 curry pan is excellent.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 10:23 PM by Gav Iscon »

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 09:10 PM »
Digressing a bit, what would you class as a standard size take-away portion. Most of the ones round where I live do the 197 x 105 x 49mm ones as a standard size portion (foil1) but I have been to ones (usually in smaller towns were they hold the monopoly) which do the smaller ones as a standard size (foil2)?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 09:34 PM »
Main course in the larger, side-dishes in the smaller.
** Phil.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 11:21 AM »
...they do not dry out as much.

I can't say that I have ever had that problem RD, I suppose it would depend on how thick they are made prior to cooking.

You've just reminded me that I must try stuffing some kebab mix into some sausage casing/skin one day to see how they turn out!

I reckon that would work very well indeed!

Digressing a bit, what would you class as a standard size take-away portion. Most of the ones round where I live do the 197 x 105 x 49mm ones as a standard size portion (foil1) but I have been to ones (usually in smaller towns were they hold the monopoly) which do the smaller ones as a standard size (foil2)?

I agree with Phil, the long tin is usually for mains or large rice, the other is for standard rice and sides.

The biryani looks fantastic, it's a dish I quite enjoy. I normally have a lamb biryani but swap the veg curry for a sag paneer cooked without cream, a formidable pairing in my opinion.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 11:35 AM »
The sausage idea, i have already made Chicken Tikka, Keema, Chicken Balti, Lamb Tikka and Chilli Chicken all tasted quite nice from what i can remember, was a bit a go.
Come to think of it the Keema was excellent, made these when i have darts night was so a little drunk.

Got a few friends that are butchers and one that used to test the meat for human consumption, so he used get me all the new meat stuff including Balti Sausages which we had at Reading Festival one year.

I used the attachment for the Kenwood
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-A950-sausage-adaptor-attachment/dp/B0000BVBCC

Got mine for around 25 GBP mark from some warehouse that was having a sale. Works quite well.

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 07:55 PM »
Missus decided she wanted a Chicken Korma for which I found hard to believe as she normally wouldn't entertain one. Then came the request to put some extra chilli powder in. Anyway I made it as in Dips recipe doubling the amounts and also added a teaspoon of chili powder. It was probably the best korma I've had up to now although my korma experiences usually consist of dipping a piece of my nan in my sons korma. It was served with plain basmati and is pictured below.

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2013, 05:20 PM »
Here's my next batch of cooking. Onion Bhajis using the No Fuss Onion Bhaji recipe. The first ones I tried to ball with the spoon broke up but once I just used my hands they were fine. Warmed them up in the oven and they came out fantastic. Even the missus who normally doesn't like them (????? :o) enjoyed them. I also made some Tandoori lamb on my new skewers under the grill using Dips marinade and this also was delicious.
Next came CA's base and from that we did a double batch of CA's Jalfriezi and CA's Korma (with a teaspoon of chilli powder added) and both were really good.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2013, 05:24 PM »
On a roll and looking good Gav. Those bhajis look very red though. I think it is the photo.  ;) never known anyone put red colour in bhajis yet but always a first time. Did you reheat them from cold in the oven? I can never get them as crisp again when I do this.

©2024 Curry Recipes