Author Topic: Bindhi (Okra)  (Read 4573 times)

Offline beachbum

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Bindhi (Okra)
« on: January 23, 2013, 11:39 PM »
Summer is in full Swing here in the Great Southern Land and will be peeking over the horizon in the Frozen North before you know it ;)

Wondering if any UK or American members grow Okra? I always have a few going in pots - they seem to flourish wherever tomatoes and chillies grow and mature at about the same rate, and I guess the would need to be in a greenhouse although might do well in Southern UK, Devon etc.

They are a hibiscus so quite decorative. Two plants give me about six per week, which store nicely in a plastic bag in the fridge till I end up with about ten then whack up a bindhi bhaji, or a curry with aubergine as well.

Ants seem to love them, I think they come for the nectar as they don't seem to do any damage and hopefully they prey on blackfly as well.

Offline growyourowncurry

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Bindhi (Okra)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 07:18 AM »
Wow I'm surprised your okra are doing so well in pots, guess you have the advantage of sun. I tried to grow some a couple of years ago under glass in Sussex but was a bit disappointed in the results with only 2 or 3 okra per plant and they took up quite a bit of space... might be tempted to try them again though -

Offline johnwill

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 03:46 PM »
Its gone to large and well grown

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 01:13 AM »
Wow what a beautiful plant. I tried growing okra last year but failed because of the climate. I think outdoor growing is a no no but they obviously thrive indoors. If black fly ever become a problem, give them a dusting of diatomaceous earth.

Offline macferret

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 11:30 PM »
We only tried okra once. The plants were very attractive (I think ours had red flowers), but the summer here is harsh and dry, and the little okra we got was tough with big seeds. Inedible.
I like the idea of growing it in pots because you can control shade and watering so much better. Might try it again.
Cheers,
Tim

Offline youngisthan

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 06:26 AM »
Growing veggies at home gives really good feeling and its much more organic and healthy as well.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 03:36 PM »
Yes- almost a shame when we then cover them in half a litre of oil eh :D

©2024 Curry Recipes