Author Topic: The Science of Cooking With Garlic  (Read 5120 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Science of Cooking With Garlic
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 04:21 PM »
PaulP,

the replies will be interesting.

i use blended (i rarely make it now, getting mine from home bargains as separate garlic and ginger paste) - quite a shock to me and my beliefs. the fresh is best though.

for madras i feel you have to add some fine chopped as an extra ingredient.

i don't hardly fry the paste or fine chopped - i actually add it while the oil heats up and then cook for 15 secs tops - just till i get that whiff. i feel it cooks enough through the rest of the frying.

the "zaal" garlic is a completely different entity which is needed for "garlic" dishes.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 04:25 PM »
crushing garlic over the years because it takes a long time

the "palm of hand pressing down on the flat of a knife" stated in the doc works a treat. it even makes the skin removal much easier.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 04:30 PM »
The other garlic trick I'm missing is for tarka dhal. My local's TD is to die for, well for me anyway. It is very garlicky and tastes almost, but not quite burnt. They are consistent every time I order it.

My theory was that the garlic is in reasonably sized chunks and is fried in very hot oil but not for long. That could give the almost burnt flavour on the outside of the garlic but the interior remains slightly raw and hence very garlicky.

Just a theory I need to try I suppose!

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 04:32 PM »
crushing garlic over the years because it takes a long time

the "palm of hand pressing down on the flat of a knife" stated in the doc works a treat. it even makes the skin removal much easier.

This is how i've always done it, but then i proceed to chop or blend (still chopping) instead of crushing to a paste like you would with salt.

©2024 Curry Recipes