Author Topic: BIR Garlic and Ginger paste video.  (Read 8611 times)

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: BIR Garlic and Ginger paste video.
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 09:52 AM »
I only prepare as much G/G as I am going to use at the time,storing g/g puree doesn't seem a good idea if you read this section taken from a link posted by DalPuri.
Takeaways would get through a massive amount of g/g so storage probably wouldn't be an issue.

Garlic Botulism
http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/cooking-with-garlic-ze0z1211zgar.aspx?page=9#ixzz2Js5gCwSj

You may well be wise to err on the side of caution, EJ, but thankfully botulism is extremely rare.

Despite all those tubs of g/g paste festering in the kitchens and fridges of the UK's 12,000 BIRs, "between 1980 and 2010 there were 33 recorded cases of food-borne botulism in England and Wales.

Twenty-six of these were linked to a single outbreak in 1989 that was caused by contaminated hazelnut yoghurt."
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Botulism/Pages/Introduction.aspx

That's an incredibly small number over a 20-year period in a country with a population of 60 million plus.

As with any food-based health risk, we need to be aware and, of course, we need to take all the precautions we think are necessary.

But this is one I'm not worried about personally.

Let's face it. If there are any killer bacteria out there that can survive being chucked into smoking hot oil and then cooked on high heat in a curry sauce for 8-10 minutes, then we're all in serious trouble!

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 01:12 PM »
Think for the most part then I will continue to freeze.  ;)

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 06:39 PM »
I only prepare as much G/G as I am going to use at the time,storing g/g puree doesn't seem a good idea if you read this section taken from a link posted by DalPuri.
Takeaways would get through a massive amount of g/g so storage probably wouldn't be an issue.

Garlic Botulism
http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/cooking-with-garlic-ze0z1211zgar.aspx?page=9#ixzz2Js5gCwSj

You may well be wise to err on the side of caution, EJ, but thankfully botulism is extremely rare.

Despite all those tubs of g/g paste festering in the kitchens and fridges of the UK's 12,000 BIRs, "between 1980 and 2010 there were 33 recorded cases of food-borne botulism in England and Wales.

Twenty-six of these were linked to a single outbreak in 1989 that was caused by contaminated hazelnut yoghurt."
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Botulism/Pages/Introduction.aspx

That's an incredibly small number over a 20-year period in a country with a population of 60 million plus.

As with any food-based health risk, we need to be aware and, of course, we need to take all the precautions we think are necessary.

But this is one I'm not worried about personally.

Let's face it. If there are any killer bacteria out there that can survive being chucked into smoking hot oil and then cooked on high heat in a curry sauce for 8-10 minutes, then we're all in serious trouble!

Your choice Sir  ;) Just keep up your stock of toilet rolls  :) ;)

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 07:06 PM »
Your choice Sir  ;) Just keep up your stock of toilet rolls  :) ;)

Roger that!  ;D

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 12:00 PM »
I asked Ali from the Shanaz about how they store their garlic & ginger mix to which he replied "in the fridge'" and when I asked "in oil?", he replied "oh no, we just use water".

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 02:44 PM »
I asked Ali from the Shanaz about how they store their garlic & ginger mix to which he replied "in the fridge'" and when I asked "in oil?", he replied "oh no, we just use water".

Can't beat it on price!  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes