Author Topic: Secret Recipe Group Test - Mick/Taz's Dopiaza  (Read 4578 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Secret Recipe Group Test - Mick/Taz's Dopiaza
« on: February 09, 2013, 10:06 AM »
I was approached by Frank ad asked to prepare this dish for the secret recipe group test. Although I managed to do this on a large scale for the Uni, I had not found time to do this on a individual portion, until yesterday, when I found a spare hour and had some of Taz's base in the fridge at the Uni :)

I have posted the recipe at the bottom of the page but followed it to the letter, although I did add some fresh Chilies (3) and after tasting the final dish, thought it needed 2 tsp of tomato puree. I used 3 Chicken breasts and doubled the ingredients to suit so as to make a double portion.

I have to say, that I loved this dish and so did many of the other staff at the Uni who tried it.

Unfortunately I am on a friends laptop at present, who does not have microsoft picture manager, therefore I cannot re-size the pictures right now. I will post the pictures another day when I can re-size them, unless anyone knows how to re-size pictures, using a standard picture manager which I can download from the web.

Thanks to Dave, here now are the pictures :)

Initial Ingredients

Deep Fried Onion Chunks

Deep Fried Onion Chunks with first batch of base sauce

Chopped Onion & Garlic added

Chili Powder, Methi & Coriander added

Final Dish

Final Dish 2

However, here is the recipe I followed.

This was original posted here (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4149.0) by Achmal and moved to the Main Dish Recipes section by CA

Mick's/Taz's Curry Base Gravy can be found here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4163.0

Mick's/Taz's Mix Powder can be found here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4164.0

Now to tell you about a curry Taz cooked for us in the curry shed,
I asked him to do a Chicken Tikka Dopiaza (Madras hot)
Taz always cooks in small woks, just his preference,

As previously stated this method is very different to what I have seen in kitchens and what I have read on here,

1./ Firstly over a medium heat, add pre-fried onion chunks, just seconds in a deep fryer,
2./ Add base gravy about 200 ml
3./ While it boils add chopped raw onions and chopped raw garlic
4./ Then add about a tablespoon of mix powder
5./ Add half a  teaspoon of salt

Now here is the crux for me, you now reduce the sauce, keep reducing until there is hardly any sauce left, the water will have gone and the oil in the base has come through, (hence the high level of oil in the base),
Whats left is frying well but not burning, some residue of the sauce will be browning on the side of the wok, this must be scraped down back into the mix,
Do this scraping down for a minute or so, You need to take the reducing further than you would think,

6./ Turn the heat down, This method proving you don't need huge burners Add more base, about another 200 ml, add the precooked meat then add the chilli powder to your taste
7./ Add coriander
8./ Add methi

Now reduce again over the lower heat, stirring occasionally until you reach your desired consistency,
Many of you would have thought as Graham and I did at the time that this method would have left a uncooked flour/spices texture in the curry , it certainly did when we tried to cook the same way but we realised we weren't letting the curry cook long enough, once we let the curry cook for longer, adding a little more base as required we cracked it,
It left us both standing there tasting the curry having one of those EUREKA moments, (without bathtubs)(and clothed) before anyone says anything..

I did say this was very different and I believe its not so much the recipes as the method he uses so I can't see why this would not work with other curry recipes ..

I have since asked Taz whether or not there is a point to adding the chilli powder with the second lot of gravy, he said it doesn't matter if the chilli goes in with the first reduction, it just shows the flexibility, as long as the curry is cooked out long enough,

This may not be the answer that many are looking for but if done correctly it does produce a cracking curry,

For information, for the amount of onion used,, Taz took 1 average sized onion and quartered it, 3 of the quarters were used for the deep fried onion chunks, the other quarter was finely chopped to go in with the first lot of gravy,

For this particular curry Taz did not add tomato paste, if you are using other curry recipes that use tomato paste then add it with the first lot of gravy,
Cheers

Mick
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 10:47 AM by 976bar »

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Recipe Group Test - Mick/Taz's Dopiaza
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 10:17 AM »
Good to hear from you Bob.  You can use Paint which is installed as part of the microsoft OS (accessories) for resizing your pics.  So crack on mate, we're all waiting  ;D ;D

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 10:52 AM »
Hi Dave,

Many thanks for the advice, pictures now added :)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 11:03 AM »
Looks very nice indeed, Bob. :)

I keep threatening to make some Taz base to try out the cooking method. I must get around to it.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 11:15 AM »
No worries mate.

Now that was worth waiting for  :P :P.  Haven't cooked a dupiaza since Bamble's mixed meat recipe, which was very good.  I'm kind of drawn towards continuing my madras journey tonight, with a couple of minor changes ::) But i will be having  a good portion of brinjal with it  ;D

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 05:37 PM »
Frank, who's Frank? ;)

I've been inspired to try this base, so at least I can compare it with my normal method. I meant to comment yesterday but got sucked into reading the 30-odd pages of 'Madras 2011' after that my head hurt.

Any ideas for a decent Dopiaza using a standard method of cooking?

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 07:45 PM »
Looks tasty and some interesting points but why has this not been moved to the correct board? Does this have to be done by admin or does ' he who should not be named ' have the ability to do this?  ;) if the latter then please shape up.  ;D

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 09:15 PM »
Frank, who's Frank? ;)

Any ideas for a decent Dopiaza using a standard method of cooking?

Sorry Kevin,

My head is in a spin at the moment with personal stuff. It was Frank who reminded me I only had one day left to post the recipe/findings and I guess that stuck in my head :(

I would think that this recipe would work with other bases, but a little more oil would need to be added and a slightly different approach in how it is cooked.

Deep frying the onion chunks would provide most of the oil required for this dish, but maybe a little extra when adding the first batch of base, should set this off to produce the same results.

Once again my apologies :)

©2024 Curry Recipes