Author Topic: My go at the Viceroy Omelette  (Read 25540 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: My go at the Viceroy Omelette
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 09:16 PM »
Thanks for posting the link CH, i've edited the original post to include now. Gav hope you get to enjoy this soon, you won;t be disappointed.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 02:09 PM »
Saturday lunch came and went very quickly  :P

Using chef Imrans method I proceeded to break the omlette, on purpose of course when flipping it as per the video but not with his precision.  At which point i emitted a flipping expletive or two ::)

I see what you mean about the background bhaji taste Axe.  A simple quick tasty snack.  I probably used about 7 finger chillis so their flavour was in the background with the corriander more predominant.  I added a small pinch of salt to the mixture.  Next time i cook it, i'll add a good chef's pinch of salt as i felt it was a little under seasoned for my taste and a touch more mix powder.
Would definitely recommend it for a light bite. It will keep me going until i tuck into my Elaichi North Indian Special after the pub  ;D

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 02:28 PM »
Using chef Imrans method I proceeded to break the omlette, on purpose of course when flipping it as per the video but not with his precision.  At which point i emitted a flipping expletive or two ::)

I see what you mean about the background bhaji taste Axe.

Ever wondered why I only put half the omelette on my plate for the pics  :P Oh and I know what expletives you used as I used the same ones. ;)

The hint of bhaji was a real surprise, but an enjoyable one.

Having just devoured an egg & bacon sarnie, i'm wondering why I didn't have the omelette again. You certainly did the recipe justice CH, nice pics.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 02:35 PM »
Cheers Axe :)

Using chef Imrans method I proceeded to break the omlette, on purpose of course when flipping it as per the video but not with his precision. 

Ever wondered why I only put half the omelette on my plate for the pics  :P Oh and I know what expletives you used as I used the same ones. ;)

The hint of bhaji was a real surprise, but an enjoyable one.

Having just devoured an egg & bacon sarnie, i'm wondering why I didn't have the omelette again. You certainly did the recipe justice CH, nice pics.
Ah, so you too followed the recipe to the letter, even down to the breaking of the omlette at the essential "tossing" stage  ;)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 03:27 PM »
I can't reconcile the narrator's use of "1/2 teaspoon mixed curry powder" with the amount shewn on the plate; how much did others use ?  And did they use "mixed curry powder" as in (e.g.,) Bassar curry masala, or Rajah Mixed Curry Powder ("Mixed Masala"), or their own "mix powder" or just straight curry powder ?

** Phil (tempted to try this, but just defrosted the bacon for a bacon-and-black pudding sandwich, so the omelette will have to be for another day).

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 03:36 PM »
a rounded tsp of Zaal mix powder used in mine :)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 03:41 PM »
Phil, I simply used a rounded teaspoon of TRS Mild Madras powder. I also felt the quantities shown and the those voiced, were misleading. That said, I always think this in most of the videos i've seen. You could use your own mix powder, I guess.

Black pudding would be a fantastic addition to this omelette, that just leaves you with bacon sarnies for the morning. ;)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 04:03 PM »
** Phil (tempted to try this, but just defrosted the bacon for a bacon-and-black pudding sandwich, so the omelette will have to be for another day).

This just reminded me of two great sandwich combinations introduced to me 20 odd years ago.

Black pudding, egg and tomato. all fried, no sauce needed. mmmmmmn
  and
Bacon, fried mushrooms and avocado.

Delicious!  ;D

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 06:24 PM »
Good lunch CH
Looks a lot lighter and less greasy than the original vid.

I tarka the onions and chillis with a pinch of Ajwain for a couple of minutes first, then add the egg mix.
I also only use half a tsp of my mix powder and half a tsp of Besan (Chickpea Flour) for flavour.
Too much mix powder and coriander darkens the egg mix and it just doesn't look appealing when cooked.

For me an omelette should be light and fluffy, with just a touch of colour.
Three eggs for me, well beaten, makes a good lunch munch :D

cheers Chewy

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 08:03 PM »
I made the omelette, today as well
Very pleased with it
I had it with jacket potatoes and Pataks Brinjal (aubergine) pickle
I think I would like it a bit hotter
Next time, I'll double the chillies