Author Topic: How to keep coriander fresh for weeks. with video  (Read 8774 times)

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: How to keep coriander fresh for weeks. with video
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 07:43 PM »
Good post for me as I'm always binning some. I sometimes use it at work and as we are on a tight budget (note to self - prepare to get shot with shit) I thought about drying some out in our drying room and see what the results would be like for adding during cooking.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 07:51 PM »
Good tip, but I prefer my method. I simply chop the coriander, put into a container and pop in the freezer. When making a curry, just retrieve the container from freezer, grab a large pinch and sprinkle it into your curry then lid back on and back into the freezer. So easy.

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 07:56 PM »
Good tip, but I prefer my method. I simply chop the coriander, put into a container and pop in the freezer. When making a curry, just retrieve the container from freezer, grab a large pinch and sprinkle it into your curry then lid back on and back into the freezer. So easy.
I'm sure mine went black when I tried that. Will try again this weekend

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 08:24 PM »

I like it fresh  ;)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 08:30 PM »
I'm sure mine went black when I tried that. Will try again this weekend

I have no idea why it would. I've been doing this for 18 months and it's fine. Needs to be an airtight box and the coriander should be dry when you chop it. Don't rinse it then chop then freeze or it'll all stick together.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 08:31 PM »

I like it fresh  ;)

Like your women eh Chris ;)

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 08:37 PM »

I have no idea why it would. I've been doing this for 18 months and it's fine. Needs to be an airtight box and the coriander should be dry when you chop it. Don't rinse it then chop then freeze or it'll all stick together.

I'll have a go as I bought a load at Christmas for carrot and coriander soup and I can't quite remember what i did with it but it went black in the freezer. As for Chris preferring fresh, so do I but I have to compromise at work to keep the budget down so if I can preserve it longer, great. At home its a different matter. Its got a touch of the french baguette whilst in the car. I've always got to rip a bit off and eat it yet the funny thing is about 15 years ago i never cared much for it as every time I had it in a BIR the taste was really over powering for me. Nowt stranger than Taste Buds

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 09:16 PM »
i never cared much for it as every time I had it in a BIR the taste was really over powering for me. Nowt stranger than Taste Buds

I've said it before and I'll say it again - coriander, the Marmite of the curry world.  ;D

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 09:22 PM »
i never cared much for it as every time I had it in a BIR the taste was really over powering for me. Nowt stranger than Taste Buds

I've said it before and I'll say it again - coriander, the Marmite of the curry world.  ;D
I would have agreed with you once upon a time but hey-- I now drink red wine and very few whites. ;D

plus I love Marmite

©2024 Curry Recipes